Vancouver first-time buyer: is C$21,600 enough cash after closing?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
I’m considering a 5-bed apartment in Vancouver at about C$519,800. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly C$21,600 left. The inspection may still uncover ordinary first-year work, so I’m debating whether to proceed or buy farther below my maximum. How would you divide that balance among emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I don’t want every small issue after closing to become a financial emergency.
 
I’d keep more than half untouched as the emergency fund. One possible split is C$12,000 emergency savings, C$3,000 moving and setup, C$4,000 for inspection-related repairs, C$1,000 for essential furniture and C$1,600 as a closing-payment float. Furniture is the easiest category to delay; leaks, appliances and income interruptions are not.
 
Before dividing it, have you included the first mortgage payment, service charges and the insurance excess in your cash-flow estimate? Also, does “moving” include utility setup and any overlap with your current housing? C$21,600 can look comfortable until several known payments land together.
 
Until the inspection identifies actual work, the C$4,000 needs to remain available cash. Do not turn it into a repair budget merely because the suggested split has a line for repairs.

Once the report arrives, price urgent safety and damage-prevention items separately. If those costs are modest, leave the balance in the emergency fund; if they would materially erode the C$21,600 cushion, revisit the price or the decision to proceed before committing money to furniture or cosmetic work.
 
With an apartment, I’d also separate work inside the unit from building-level costs. Confirm the service charge amount and timing, what insurance covers, and what deductible or excess could fall to you. A low-maintenance unit can still create a cash squeeze through building expenses. The number of bedrooms may also make furnishing tempting, but unused rooms do not need to be completed immediately.
 
Agreed on delaying furniture. I’d make two lists after inspection: items required for safety or to prevent further damage, and everything cosmetic. Fund only the first list at closing. Then map the first mortgage payment, service charge, insurance and moving dates on a calendar; whatever remains after those known commitments is the real C$21,600 buffer.
 
The decision point for me would be whether the purchase still works after a deliberately boring first year: basic furniture, no cosmetic upgrades and enough cash left for an unexpected repair or income gap. If that feels too restrictive, buying slightly below C$519,800 is reasonable. A larger untouched reserve has value beyond the interest calculation—it gives you room to respond rather than borrow under pressure.
 
Back
Top