Vancouver market check: -7.4% movement and 94 days on market (5 bed)

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
Take this lightly because several factors may be overlapping. I’m watching five-bedroom detached homes in Vancouver listed from C$820,800 to C$1,231,000. The movement I’m tracking is -7.4%, with listings taking about 94 days, but negotiated discounts vary sharply by condition.

I’m trying to decide whether vacancy and seller motivation explain more of that spread than headline demand. Does that match what others are seeing? Please include the neighbourhood and property type in any comparison.
 
I wouldn’t attribute the spread mainly to vacancy yet. At 94 days, withdrawn and relisted homes could distort both the time and apparent discount, while dated properties naturally attract a different buyer pool. Are your figures based on completed sales, current asking prices, or price changes within the same listings?
 
The financing side is another missing piece. A five-bedroom detached home near C$820,800 may not be competing for exactly the same buyers as one at C$1,231,000, even before condition is considered. I’d split the results by price band and record when each reduction occurred. A cut after two weeks says something different from one after three months.
 
I also question the Canada-wide comparison. Even within Vancouver, pooling Kitsilano and Renfrew-Collingwood detached houses could conceal more than it reveals. Neighbourhood boundaries, lot and building condition matter here. Vacancy may indicate motivation, but it does not tell you whether the seller will accept less; some vacant owners can simply wait.
 
What changed my view was the withdrawal count. Completed sales alone may make the market look firmer if frustrated sellers are quietly taking homes off rather than accepting lower offers.

I’d keep this to a tightly drawn neighbourhood and compare original price, reductions, final sale price, condition, occupancy and total exposure including relistings. Add new listings and withdrawals over the same period. If the 7.4% decline still appears after that, seller motivation becomes a stronger explanation; if it disappears, condition and stale listings probably account for more of the movement than vacancy does.
 
Back
Top