Vancouver townhouses: is 27 days meaningful when the usable inventory is thin?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
Waiting could produce more townhouse choices, but it may also mean losing suitable homes now. Offering immediately is no easier to justify when so little of the advertised stock meets my accessibility needs.

I’m looking between C$642,600 and C$963,900, and the headline pace appears to be about 27 days. Before treating that as meaningful, I want to know whether it reflects completed sales within comparable Vancouver neighbourhood boundaries or mainly listings that remain available. Seller motivation, withdrawn properties and relistings could change the picture considerably. Would you start with recent sales, or track the current stock long enough to see which sellers actually adjust?
 
Completed sales should carry more weight than the listings still online. Active inventory naturally includes homes buyers have rejected or sellers who will not adjust. I’d separate recent sales, current listings, withdrawals and relistings, then compare when price cuts occurred. Otherwise that 27-day figure may describe the leftovers more than the market.
 
Also, how tightly are you drawing the neighbourhood boundaries, and are you comparing similar condition? A renovated townhouse beside transit and one needing substantial work can sit in the same price band without competing for the same buyers. Is 27 days the age of current listings, or the time taken by properties that actually sold?
 
That’s the weakness in what I did: I was using listing age as a rough substitute for selling time, so the sample is tilted toward what remains available. My boundary is also broad because narrowing it leaves very few accessible options. I’ll rebuild it around completed sales and keep condition and price reductions separate rather than treating the whole range as one group.
 
I’m not convinced transaction fees explain most of the outliers. Unless they vary materially between the properties, seller motivation and condition may explain more. A high initial price followed by a late reduction can create a long advertised period even if the home sells quickly once it reaches a realistic level.
 
Financing can distort the picture too. A property may attract interest but still take longer if buyers in that price range need more time to firm up funding. For your decision, I’d distinguish “more listings” from “more feasible listings”: accessibility, condition, monthly carrying costs and likely transaction costs can shrink the real choice considerably.
 
A practical approach: track each suitable new listing from first appearance, note any price changes, and record whether it sells, disappears or returns. Alongside that, collect comparable completed sales within the same neighbourhood boundary. After a few weeks you’ll see whether desirable homes are actually lasting around 27 days or whether that number is being driven by withdrawn and overpriced stock.
 
Back
Top