Vancouver warehouses: more listings, but is the 10.7% movement meaningful?

cairn.common

First-time buyer
Established
There are more Vancouver listings, but not many warehouses I would actually pursue. I’m watching asking prices from C$1,555,000 to C$2,333,000. Typical exposure appears to be around 70 days, while the negotiated discount changes sharply with condition.

The headline movement is 10.7%, but I’m unsure how much weight to give it without separating new listings, withdrawn stock and completed sales. My working view is that local supply explains more of the spread than broad demand. Does that match what others are seeing in Canada? Please identify the neighbourhood and property type.
 
I would not treat 70 days as evidence of weakness by itself. For warehouse property, a buyer may need more time to assess condition and financing. The stronger signal is what happens after those 70 days: price cut, accepted offer, withdrawal or relisting. Those outcomes distinguish genuine supply from stock that is merely visible.
 
What exactly does the 10.7% represent—asking-price movement, completed-sale prices, listing volume or the gap between initial ask and final price? Without that definition, it cannot be reconciled with the 70-day figure. I’d also separate Vancouver proper from a wider regional search, because shifting the boundary could change the comparison considerably.
 
Condition may be standing in for several different costs and risks. Two warehouses at similar asking prices are not necessarily comparable if one needs substantial work or cannot meet a buyer’s intended use without changes. I’d group the listings by condition first, then compare price-cut timing within each group rather than calculating one discount across everything.
 
I partly disagree that local supply is necessarily the main driver. Financing can reduce the number of buyers able to act even when plenty of listings exist. A seller may then sit at the original ask for weeks before adjusting. That can look like a supply problem when it is really a mismatch between seller expectations and buyer capacity.
 
To test that, I’d want to know whether the properties cutting prices are also the ones remaining available longest. If cuts happen early, seller motivation may matter more than financing. If they cluster after roughly 70 days, that suggests owners are reacting to a lack of acceptable offers rather than pricing aggressively from the start.
 
Recent completed sales should carry more weight than current asking prices, but only if the properties and timing are genuinely comparable. Withdrawn listings are useful too: repeated withdrawals can make visible inventory look healthier than the amount of stock sellers are actually prepared to transact.
 
There is also a selection issue in saying there are more listings but few worth buying. That may indicate poorer-quality stock is accumulating while attractive warehouses still clear sooner. In that case, total new-listing volume rises without creating much additional choice for a condition-sensitive buyer.
 
Could the original poster split the C$1,555,000–C$2,333,000 range into unchanged listings, reduced listings and relistings? Even a simple timeline for each property would help. Initial list date, first reduction, withdrawal and any later return would reveal whether 70 days reflects one continuous marketing period or several attempts.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries need to stay fixed throughout that exercise. A comparison can drift quickly if one search uses a named neighbourhood while another includes adjacent industrial areas. I’d record the exact search area beside every listing, then avoid drawing a Canada-wide conclusion from a Vancouver warehouse sample.
 
Seller motivation is the missing piece that listing data rarely makes obvious. Two owners can respond very differently to the same level of interest: one cuts promptly, another waits or withdraws. That is why I would compare completed sales, cuts and withdrawals together rather than interpreting the 10.7% movement as a single market direction.
 
The 10.7% figure is not enough to choose between a pricing explanation and a property-risk explanation. I’d track each warehouse by exact neighbourhood, type, condition, original and current ask, exposure time, and whether it sold or was withdrawn.

For example, a maintained unit that sells after a modest reduction should not be grouped with one needing major work that disappears after 70 days. Keep any financing comments in a separate column unless they can be tied to that transaction. Once several outcomes are recorded, seller motivation and condition can be weighed against the apparent supply change.
 
Back
Top