Vienna first-time buyer: how much cash should remain after closing?

early_harbor

Buyer
Established
I’m considering a 4-bed duplex in Vienna at around €676,200. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I’d have roughly €40,480 left.

That still has to cover the move, any inspection findings, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and ordinary first-year work. Furniture can wait; roofs and boilers generally cannot. How would you divide that remaining cash between a true emergency fund and planned purchase costs? I’d rather bid below my maximum than turn every repair into a crisis. I’m also curious whether days-on-market should affect the size of the offer or simply be treated as negotiating context.
 
I’d separate the money before deciding what you can offer. Protect an emergency fund based on your essential monthly spending, then reserve known moving and setup costs. Put the rest into a property contingency, with furniture funded later from income. If that leaves too little for plausible inspection work, the purchase price is too high for your comfort level.
 
What are the monthly service charges, and do they include any contribution toward larger shared works? Also, is the roof solely yours or shared under the duplex ownership arrangement? Those details could change the calculation much more than the number of bedrooms.

I’d also confirm exactly when the first mortgage payment falls rather than assuming you get a full month’s breathing room.
 
€40,480 sounds substantial in isolation, but it is not a huge margin relative to a €676,200 property. I’d be cautious about mentally spending any of it before the inspection and ownership documents are clear.

I slightly disagree that days-on-market should materially change your buffer. It may strengthen your negotiating position, but it does not make a boiler, roof issue or insurance excess cheaper. Use it to support a lower offer, not to justify retaining less cash.
 
That distinction helps. I don’t yet have the full service-charge breakdown or confirmation of how major exterior work is allocated, so I’m going to get those before setting a final ceiling. I also haven’t included any furniture beyond essentials.

My plan now is to treat the €40,480 as unavailable until the inspection, first-payment date, insurance excess and moving quotes are known. If those figures make the remaining emergency fund feel thin, I’ll lower the offer rather than reshuffle the same money on paper.
 
That is the sensible order. Ask the inspector to distinguish urgent defects from maintenance that can wait, then get actual quotes for anything significant rather than relying on a broad allowance. Keep the emergency fund separate from the repair pot so a non-property emergency does not compete with necessary work.

For the offer, decide your walk-away figure first. Otherwise a lower-than-asking bid can gradually creep back toward your maximum during negotiation.
 
One caveat: don’t classify every inspection comment as an immediate repair. Reports often identify maintenance, monitoring and cosmetic issues alongside real defects. Prioritise anything affecting water ingress, heating, safety or further deterioration; schedule the rest. That can preserve cash without pretending the work does not exist.
 
Stress-test the buffer with two costs arriving together—for example, moving expenses plus an urgent repair—while the first mortgage payment and service charges still leave the account. If that scenario would force borrowing, your bid ceiling is probably too high. Days-on-market can help the negotiation, but your cash-flow test should set the limit.
 
Back
Top