Vienna rental at €837,200 and €4,874/month — sanity check

EarnestChart

Property investor
I need to decide whether this is worth further work before committing more time to it, and the tension is between an attractive gross figure and costs I cannot yet verify. The property is a 1-bed coastal home listed in Vienna for €837,200, with projected rent of €4,874 a month. On that basis the headline yield is about 7.0%, with no appreciation assumed.

Vacancy, management, normal maintenance and a substantial repair allowance are already in my model. What remains unclear is the effect of energy performance, insurance, financing and any owner-only building expenses that cannot be passed through to the tenant.

Which of those tends to change the calculation most? I am less interested in making the gross yield look good than in finding a net return that still works under a realistic vacancy and cost case.
 
For clarity, the annual rent assumption is €58,488 before any deductions. I’m particularly unsure how to separate owner-only building costs from amounts that might be recoverable from the tenant. Insurance, property tax and turnover costs are also areas where my estimates are still rough. I’d rather reject the deal than make the 7.0% headline figure work through optimistic assumptions.
 
The gross-yield arithmetic works, but the missing fact is what the €4,874 actually represents. Is it pure rent, or does the figure include charges that are collected and then paid onward? I would obtain the unit and building expense histories, insurance figure, energy information and details of planned common works. A repair reserve based only on the apartment could miss costs arising at building level.
 
I wouldn’t automatically treat vacancy as the main danger. One empty month is visible and easy to model; recurring non-recoverable costs or an energy-related project can quietly do more damage over time.

Also, “coastal home” and Vienna do not naturally match. Is that merely the listing category? Clarifying exactly what is being sold matters before comparing it with ordinary Vienna apartments.
 
Financing could change the conclusion even if the property looks acceptable without debt. Run the operating case first, then add separate scenarios for borrowing cost and refinancing rather than blending everything into one yield.

A useful sensitivity table would vary rent, vacancy, management, annual maintenance and one major repair. Don’t count management and tenant-turnover work twice if the proposed management fee already covers some of it.
 
At this price, every €8,372 of annual cost reduces the property-level yield by one percentage point. To retain a 5% net yield before financing and personal tax, total annual operating costs and reserves could not exceed €16,628. That gives you a concrete ceiling to compare with actual invoices and realistic quotes.

I’d want something around that 5% net level here, because the gross-to-net gap is still largely unverified. Others may accept less, but I would not set a final threshold until the rent composition, building obligations, energy position and turnover assumptions are confirmed locally.
 
Back
Top