Vienna studios showing 95 days online — are completed sales different?

cai.roan

Market analyst
Market Reporter
I’m looking at Vienna studios priced from €445,300 to €667,900 and getting roughly 95 days to find a buyer. The longest-running examples often appear connected to rental regulation, but I’m worried the active listings are distorting the picture. Do recent completed sales support that timeline, or should withdrawn properties and relistings be treated separately?
 
Active listings alone will usually overemphasise the slow stock. Completed deals would tell you what actually cleared, while withdrawn listings may hide sellers who would not accept the market price. I’d also separate regulated or occupied units from vacant ones before calculating anything; otherwise the apparent 95-day figure may be describing a mixed group rather than a typical studio.
 
I agree that the active sample overstates the slow end, but I hesitate to treat completed deals as comparable until the locations and condition are narrowed properly. A renovated studio and one requiring substantial work may attract different buyers even at the same price, just as occupied and vacant units do.

The 95-day measure also needs one consistent starting point. If some records begin with the original advertisement and others with a relisting, the apparent neighbourhood difference could simply be a recording difference.
 
That said, I wouldn’t dismiss the active sample entirely. Completed sales can lean toward realistically priced, motivated sellers and make demand look stronger than it is. New-listing volume and the timing of price cuts would help: a property selling after 95 days and a late reduction tells a different story from one selling near its initial asking price.
 
I’d build three groups: completed, still active, and withdrawn. Then split each by neighbourhood, condition, rental situation, and whether the asking price changed. Buyer financing can also extend the path from agreement to completion, so keep “found a buyer” separate from the completed-sale date if possible. Even a small table should show whether 95 days is a broad Vienna pattern or just a few difficult listings.
 
Back
Top