Villa versus new-build flat in Tokyo: the real ownership trade-offs

reviewTheWorkshop

First-time buyer
I’m choosing between a 60 m² villa and a similarly priced new-build flat in Tokyo. My current notes make the villa look simpler to maintain, while the flat seems to offer more control but possible irregular shared-building costs. I’m modelling transaction fees, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. What tends to be missed after year one—reserve contributions, vacancy risk, management workload, or something else?
 
I’d challenge the starting assumption. A villa gives you control over when work happens, but you carry the whole cost of exterior, roof and equipment maintenance. With the flat, inspect the management budget, current reserve contribution and what future building work is anticipated. The surprise may be less an irregular bill than regular charges rising over time.
 
Is this for your own use or for tenants? That changes the comparison. Tenant demand and resale liquidity can vary more by station access, layout and exact neighbourhood than by villa versus flat. Vacancy also makes fixed flat charges more noticeable because they continue without rental income.
 
There is another caveat: “new-build” does not automatically mean low running costs. Energy use still depends on orientation, glazing, ventilation, equipment and how exposed the unit is. For the villa, ask for a realistic schedule of individual replacement items rather than one annual maintenance estimate. For the flat, separate costs you can control from management and reserve payments you cannot. Then compare both over several years, including one deliberately expensive year.
 
Good correction—the distinction is really control versus shared responsibility, not simple versus difficult. This would initially be for my own use, although I want the option to rent later. I’ll compare the exact locations and layouts separately, obtain the flat’s management and reserve figures, and build a villa replacement schedule. I’ll also stress-test vacancy and a higher-cost year rather than relying on average annual expenses.
 
Back
Top