Wait for a Mexico City housing drop, or buy when the numbers already work?

able_echo

Real estate agent
Verified Pro
I keep hearing “wait for prices to fall,” but rent and borrowing costs have moved too. I can afford a suitable small multifamily in Mexico City now, although it is not cheap by historical standards.

For people who waited or proceeded, which personal thresholds mattered more than predicting the market? I am especially interested in trade-offs such as cash reserves, payment comfort, expected holding period and tolerance for vacancies—not a universal rule.
 
If the property works without needing rapid appreciation, that is a stronger plan than waiting for an undefined crash. I would set three thresholds: a payment you can carry with weaker rental income, cash left after closing and repairs, and a holding period long enough that selling quickly is unlikely. If any one fails, waiting is reasonable even if prices never fall.
 
What does “affordable” mean here? There is a large difference between qualifying for the purchase and being comfortable after a vacancy or major building expense. Also, are you comparing current listings with old asking prices, or with completed sales? Asking-price trends can create a misleading picture when transaction volume is thin.
 
I would add financing certainty. A lower future purchase price does not guarantee a lower monthly cost if borrowing becomes more expensive. Conversely, buying now solely because rates might rise is still market timing. Run the property at today’s terms, then again with less rent collected and a repair allowance. The second version is the useful one.
 
One more missing fact: will you occupy a unit or depend on every unit producing income? Owner occupancy can make the comparison partly about rent you no longer pay. A fully rented investment has a different threshold because the building must stand on its own numbers.
 
Mexico City is too varied for a citywide “crash” thesis to guide a specific small multifamily purchase. Conditions can differ by neighborhood, building condition and tenant situation. I would compare the candidate only with genuinely similar nearby properties and note how long each asking price has been advertised. Even then, advertised history is not the same as a recorded deal.
 
Pablo’s point is important, but time on market can still be noisy. A listing may disappear because it sold, was withdrawn or was relisted differently. Unless the status is known, it should not be treated as evidence of the final price. The seller’s willingness to negotiate on this particular building may matter more than a broad index.
 
Getting this wrong could leave the buyer holding a building that remains unaffordable even if prices recover later. A long ownership period reduces the chance of being forced to sell at a bad moment, but it cannot correct weak operating income or rents that were too optimistic from the start.

The missing facts for me are the number of units actually occupied, what tenants are currently paying and which repairs cannot be deferred. Check those against the proposed payment and cash reserves first. Only then would I decide whether this particular Mexico City multifamily works without depending on perfect occupancy or a favourable market forecast.
 
Also put dates on every market claim you are hearing. “Prices are falling” could refer to an old report, a recent month with seasonal noise, or revised figures. Without the source date, sample size and whether the figures are asking or sold prices, it should not drive a purchase decision.
 
A practical exercise: write two lists. One contains facts that would make this building unacceptable today—insufficient reserves, uncomfortable payment, unresolved condition questions, dependence on perfect occupancy. The other contains future events you are merely hoping for, such as a broad price decline. Decide from the first list. Keep the second as context, not as the plan.
 
Do not overlook transaction volume. A small price movement based on relatively few comparable sales may say little about what a specific seller will accept. Low volume can also make both optimistic and pessimistic headlines look more decisive than they are. Recent comparable transactions close to the property would be more informative, if reliable details are available.
 
There is a middle course between buying immediately and waiting for a crash: make an offer at a level where the stressed numbers meet your thresholds. If the seller declines, you continue renting with a defined reason rather than a market prediction. That turns “wait” into a price-and-conditions decision.
 
Policy timing is another reason not to anchor on one forecast. Announcements, implementation and actual market effects do not necessarily happen together, and the consequences can vary across property types. I would not assume a possible policy change automatically benefits a small multifamily buyer. Treat it as a scenario until its timing and application are clear.
 
The offer idea works best if the walk-away point is calculated before negotiations. Include the cash still available afterward, not just the purchase price and monthly payment. A tempting discount can disappear quickly if the building needs immediate work. That is building-specific risk, whereas waiting for a citywide fall is a much broader bet.
 
So the real comparison is not “buy now versus buy after a crash.” It is this building, at an acceptable negotiated price and conservative assumptions, versus continuing to rent while preserving cash and searching. If the first option remains comfortable without appreciation or full occupancy, proceeding can be coherent. If it needs those outcomes, waiting is not cowardice; it is declining a fragile deal.
 
Back
Top