Wanted: 5-bed home near Toronto, target C$391,500

JaeFlint

Seller
A five-bedroom home within reach of Toronto may be possible at C$391,500, but I expect the location or finish will require some flexibility. Transport time matters more to me than cosmetic condition. I can live with an older kitchen or bathrooms; I do not want to take on urgent structural repairs.

Please give the area, approximate floor space, ownership type and availability for any leads. I would also like to know how the five rooms are configured and whether they are proper bedrooms, particularly if any are below ground. I can consider a wider search radius if the public-transport connection is practical.
 
That combination may require a trade-off, so it would help to define “near Toronto.” Are you measuring by distance, driving time or public-transport time? Also, must all five bedrooms be conventional above-ground rooms, or would a properly usable basement bedroom work? Those answers could change the search area considerably.
 
I’d be cautious about counting every room marketed as a bedroom. A three-bedroom house with two small dens is not necessarily equivalent to a genuine five-bedroom layout. For any basement rooms, verify their status, dimensions and safe exit arrangements under the applicable local requirements rather than relying only on the listing description.
 
Good questions. By five bedrooms, I mean five rooms that can genuinely function as bedrooms rather than dens or pass-through spaces. A basement bedroom could be considered if it is dry, safe and properly usable. C$391,500 remains the target; I would prefer to expand the area before taking on major structural repairs. Public transport access is more important than being close by straight-line distance.
 
I wouldn’t expand the radius immediately. First separate the transport requirement into an actual destination and acceptable journey time. A place farther out beside a useful route can be more practical than a nominally closer property requiring several connections. Without that commute detail, people may send you listings that meet the bedroom count but not the daily-use test.
 
For responses, I’d ask sellers or agents to use a fixed format: neighbourhood, total floor area, room-by-room bedroom locations, freehold or other tenure, any shared charges, transport route, availability, and known structural or water issues. Photos of a finished basement alone won’t establish its condition. If something looks suitable, an inspection focused on structure, moisture and major systems would help distinguish dated from genuinely expensive work.
 
The priority order now sounds like: five usable bedrooms, no major immediate structural work, workable public transport, then proximity to Toronto. Keep the target budget visible, but ask whether the quoted price excludes any recurring tenure-related costs. Once you have two or three candidates, compare total floor area and bedroom distribution rather than the headline bedroom number alone.
 
Back
Top