Warehouse or detached home in Mumbai: what appears after year one?

I need to narrow this down before progressing with an overseas purchase: either a 120 m² warehouse or a similarly priced detached home in Mumbai. The warehouse initially looks easier to maintain, but its tenant pool and insurance exposure may depend heavily on its permitted use. The house offers more day-to-day control, though repairs could arrive more often and with less warning.

I’m comparing realistic vacancy, management effort, energy costs, service or shared-reserve charges and eventual resale demand. What records and inspections would you require for each option? I’m particularly interested in liabilities that a first-year budget may miss, and whether the answer changes if the warehouse is standalone rather than within a managed complex.
 
I wouldn’t assume the warehouse is simpler. Roof and drainage work, shutters, floor damage, security and tenant-specific alterations can be infrequent but substantial. Its insurance and energy profile may also depend heavily on the actual use. For the house, inspect the structure, weatherproofing, plumbing and boundaries rather than relying on an average annual maintenance estimate.
 
One missing fact: will you occupy the property or let it? If it is an investment, compare realistic vacancy periods and management effort, not just headline rent. A warehouse may have a narrower tenant and resale pool, while a detached home may attract more enquiries but require more frequent hands-on maintenance. Also, is the warehouse standalone or part of a managed complex with shared reserves?
 
I’d challenge the idea that the house necessarily gives more control. Control depends on the title, access arrangements, shared obligations and permitted use of the specific property, not simply its type.

Before deciding, obtain separate condition inspections and itemised insurance indications for both. Then build a multi-year cash-flow comparison with routine maintenance, a reserve for irregular work, vacancy, reletting costs and a slower-than-expected sale. Local legal and tax treatment should be confirmed in Mumbai rather than carried over from your home country.
 
Back
Top