Warsaw detached rental: does 3.5% gross leave enough margin?

kian_roofs

Landlord
Established
I’m assessing a 3-bed detached home in Warsaw at PLN 4,464,000. Expected rent is PLN 12,970/month, so the headline gross yield is about 3.5%.

The building appears sound, but the spreadsheet deteriorates once I include vacancy, management, routine maintenance and a larger-repair reserve. Lease length and tenant turnover could materially change it too.

Which local ownership cost am I most likely to underestimate, and what net yield would compensate you for the risk?
 
The annual rent is PLN 155,640, which is roughly 3.49% before any costs. That is a thin starting margin for a detached property because one repair or empty period can consume much of the return. Unless there is a separate appreciation case, I would want a meaningfully better net figure than this deal seems likely to produce.
 
Is this financed or an all-cash comparison? Interest-rate sensitivity could overwhelm the differences between maintenance assumptions.

Also clarify who pays utilities, garden upkeep and minor repairs, plus the proposed lease term. A lower-maintenance tenant arrangement on a longer lease is quite different from repeatedly preparing a detached house for new occupants.
 
I would model vacancy in months rather than as a vague percentage. One empty month reduces annual rent from PLN 155,640 to PLN 142,670, or about 3.2% of the purchase price before management, insurance, property tax or repairs. Then run zero-, one- and two-month vacancy cases so you can see how quickly cash flow disappears.
 
I’m not convinced one empty month should automatically be the base case. A suitable long lease might reduce turnover substantially, although it can introduce other trade-offs around rent adjustments and tenant quality. The more useful step is getting actual Warsaw quotes for management and insurance, then confirming exactly what management includes rather than applying a generic percentage.
 
That’s fair. I’d still keep the one-month case as a stress scenario, not necessarily the forecast. Management quotes also need to be compared on the same basis: leasing work, ongoing management and turnover tasks may not all sit in one fee. Otherwise a seemingly cheap percentage can leave several costs outside the model.
 
With a detached home, I would focus less on guessing the property-tax line and more on concentrated building risk. Exterior work, heating systems, roof items and garden-related obligations do not get shared across multiple owners. A technical inspection and a component-by-component reserve would be more useful than one broad maintenance percentage.
 
There is a simple way to test the margin. To net 3% on PLN 4,464,000, you need PLN 133,920 annually after operating costs. Against PLN 155,640 of scheduled rent, that leaves only PLN 21,720 for everything. One vacant month uses PLN 12,970 of that, leaving PLN 8,750 for management, maintenance, insurance, property tax and turnover.

I’d obtain those actual figures, keep financing and personal tax treatment separate, and rerun the price rather than forcing the yield assumption. On the numbers given, the cushion looks too small.
 
Back
Top