Warsaw investor looking beyond advertised prices

handy_page

Property investor
Established
Hello from Warsaw. I spend much of my property time studying apartments, transaction costs, and the gap between advertised and completed prices. I’m trying to decide how to build a useful market model without getting trapped in a Warsaw-only perspective.

I joined mainly to compare methods across countries: what people include in purchase costs, how they judge comparable sales, and how they account for renovation and management. For someone beginning with Poland, is there a local-board thread or market dataset you would read first?
 
Welcome. I’d begin on the local board and look for discussions based on completed transactions rather than listing snapshots. Even then, separate apartments by area, size, condition and building type before comparing prices. A broad Warsaw average can conceal more than it reveals. Threads where members explain their assumptions may be more useful than a bare price table.
 
What decision do you want the model to support: choosing a neighbourhood, setting an offer, or comparing Warsaw with another city? The right data depends on that. Also, are you analysing cash purchases and mortgages together? Financing costs can make two otherwise similar deals look very different.
 
One more point: define “transaction costs” before comparing markets. Some models stop at the purchase price and basic completion expenses, while others include financing, initial repairs, vacancy and management. If contributors use different boundaries, the final percentages are not really comparable.
 
I partly disagree that completed-price data should always be the starting point. It is essential for valuation, but it can describe an earlier market by the time you analyse it. Current listings still help show seller expectations and available competition. I’d track both series separately rather than trying to turn advertised prices into completed prices with one fixed discount.
 
For an investment model, add the operating side before spending too long refining the purchase-price gap. Ask what management work is assumed, which costs continue during vacancy, and whether renovation delays the first rental income. A deal that looks attractive at acquisition can weaken quickly if the model quietly assumes perfect occupancy and no ongoing work.
 
I’d organise your reading into four folders: completed-price discussions, mortgage comparisons, renovation examples and legal checklists. Keep the legal material specific to Poland and current, because cross-country comparisons are least transferable there. For renovation posts, focus on scope and timing rather than treating someone else’s total cost as a Warsaw estimate.
 
Thanks all. The distinction between valuation data and current competition is especially helpful. I was leaning toward a single adjustment from asking to completed price, but I can see why that would hide differences in condition and location.

I’ll start with the Poland board, define exactly what enters my cost model, and keep separate columns for listings and completed transactions. My first aim is offer analysis rather than producing a citywide forecast, so comparable apartments should matter more than a headline Warsaw figure.
 
That narrower aim should make the exercise much more manageable. Record why each comparable was included or excluded, not just its price. Then run a few scenarios for renovation time, vacancy and financing instead of relying on one expected outcome. When you post the model, sharing the categories and assumptions—without personal financial details—will make it easier for members to challenge the useful parts.
 
Back
Top