Warsaw new-build flat: PLN 1,126,000 price and PLN 6,957 monthly rent

handy_page

Property investor
Established
If the rent or ownership costs are even slightly overstated, a purchase at PLN 1,126,000 could produce far less cash flow than the 7.4% headline suggests. The property is a two-bedroom new-build flat in Warsaw, with expected monthly rent of PLN 6,957.

I have budgeted for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a separate allowance for a major future repair. What I cannot yet judge is the likely lease length, so turnover costs may occur more often than the model assumes. I also need to check owner-paid service charges, insurance and how the numbers respond to financing costs.

For those figures, which expense would you test first? I would also be interested in the net return people would require before accepting the vacancy and tenant-change risk.
 
The gross arithmetic works: PLN 6,957 × 12 is PLN 83,484, or about 7.4% of the purchase price. I would focus first on building service charges, especially the portion the owner must cover and what continues during vacancy. Furnishing and preparing a new-build unit for letting can also blur the true acquisition cost.
 
What exactly is included in both numbers? Does PLN 1,126,000 include parking, storage and a finished, rentable interior? Does PLN 6,957 include utilities or building charges collected from the tenant? Without separating rent from reimbursements, the gross yield can look better than the actual return.
 
Agreed. I’d build the calculation from rent retained by the owner, not the tenant’s total monthly payment. Then run separate cases for a full year occupied, one month vacant, and vacancy plus a new letting fee. Lease length matters because every turnover can bring cleaning, minor works and another period without rent.
 
Management costs are worth including, but they may be easier to quantify than repeated furniture and appliance replacement. In a well-presented furnished two-bedroom flat, several smaller replacements over successive tenancies can matter more than one obvious repair bill.

I would keep the management line from the earlier calculation, then add a separate turnover budget covering cleaning, minor damage, furnishings and appliances. Run it under both a longer tenancy and frequent tenant changes. If the deal only works when that second line is close to zero, the 7.4% headline is doing too much of the work.
 
Also, don’t let the larger-repair allowance substitute for initial snagging and fit-out. Those are different cash flows: one occurs before or around the first tenancy, while the reserve is for later ownership. I would want the purchase price, setup budget and any other acquisition expenses shown separately.
 
Is this an all-cash purchase or financed? A reasonable unlevered yield can become weak cash flow if borrowing costs rise or the loan requires substantial repayments. I’d test the financing against lower rent, vacancy and a larger service charge at the same time rather than changing one assumption at a time.
 
That financing question is important, although I’d still decide whether the flat works unlevered first. Otherwise leverage can hide an overpriced property. Start with PLN 83,484 annual scheduled rent, deduct realistic operating costs, and only then add interest and repayments to see whether the cash position is tolerable.
 
Before choosing a target yield, I’d get written estimates for the building charges, insurance, property tax, management, furnishing and tenant-finding costs. Ask which charges remain with the owner under the intended lease. Then obtain rent opinions that distinguish an asking figure from a realistically achievable rent for this exact unit and condition.
 
A useful reverse calculation: a 5% net yield on PLN 1,126,000 requires annual net operating income of PLN 56,300. Against gross rent of PLN 83,484, that permits PLN 27,184 a year for vacancy and operating costs before financing and tax. At 5.5% net, the permitted cost total falls to PLN 21,554. Compare your model with those ceilings.
 
I wouldn’t select 5% or 5.5% without considering the lease structure and alternatives for the capital. A longer, dependable tenancy may justify less than a flat with frequent turnover, but a long lease can also limit flexibility. Insurance and property-tax assumptions should be confirmed for this particular Warsaw unit rather than borrowed from another market.
 
The remaining weak point is the PLN 6,957 itself. Is that supported by comparable achieved rents, or is it the optimistic asking rent needed to produce 7.4%? For a 2-bed, confirm whether comparable units have similar furnishing, parking, floor level and building charges. Even a careful expense model cannot rescue an overstated starting rent.
 
I’d proceed only after converting this into three complete cases: expected rent, reduced rent, and turnover with vacancy. Include owner-paid building charges, management, insurance, property tax, recurring replacements, setup costs and financing separately. If the deal only meets your required net yield in the best case, the 7.4% headline is not providing much protection.
 
Back
Top