Warsaw student housing: condition, fees or demand behind the price spread?

handy_page

Property investor
Established
The surprising detail was that roughly 34 days on market sits alongside such a wide asking range: PLN 647,800 to PLN 971,700. That made me question whether the reported 1.9% movement says much about the particular Warsaw properties I am comparing.

I had been leaning toward transaction fees as a major explanation, but that may confuse the buyer's total cost with the seller's willingness to negotiate. Condition, new-listing volume and seller motivation may matter more, especially if renovated units and homes needing work are grouped together.

Before deciding between an adjusted offer now and waiting for reductions, what source details should I check for the 1.9% and 34-day figures? It would help if replies identified the neighbourhood boundaries and distinguished purpose-built student housing from ordinary apartments marketed to students.
 
I’d be cautious about blaming transaction fees. Unless the fee burden differs between properties, it should affect the buyer’s total budget more than the negotiated discount between two listings. For Mokotów apartments marketed to students, I’d first separate renovated, furnished units from flats needing work. Also, is the 1.9% based on asking prices or completed sales?
 
The 34 days needs unpacking too. Is that for currently advertised stock, completed listings, or listings that disappeared? Withdrawn and relisted units can make marketing periods look shorter. In Śródmieście, I’d avoid combining compact ordinary apartments with purpose-built student rooms even if both appear under “student housing.” They are different propositions.
 
Exactly. Recent completed sales would be more useful than the active-listing average, particularly if the 1.9% is just movement in advertised prices. I’d track the same Mokotów apartment listings over time: original ask, first reduction, current ask, withdrawal and relisting. That would show whether day 34 actually matters or is merely an average with no negotiating significance.
 
Neighbourhood boundaries can distort this as well. A listing described broadly as Wola may compete with a different set of properties depending on its precise location. For ordinary apartments intended for student rental, access and layout may matter more than the district label. I’d want price per usable room alongside the total price, without assuming every extra room is suitable for a student.
 
A practical comparison table could solve most of this. For each listing, record neighbourhood, property type, condition, furnishing, original and current price, days since first appearance, and whether it was withdrawn. Then add the buyer’s estimated transaction costs separately. If the condition-adjusted prices still diverge, seller motivation or financing constraints become more plausible explanations than fees alone.
 
One more missing detail: when you say transaction fees drive the spread, are you comparing advertised price with the buyer’s all-in cost, or advertised price with the eventual sale price? Those are not interchangeable. In Mokotów ordinary apartments, a buyer may reduce an offer because of the total budget, but that doesn’t establish fees as the market-wide cause of the discount.
 
I wouldn’t dismiss fees completely. At PLN 647,800, the same fixed expense would consume a larger share of the budget than at PLN 971,700, so buyers near their financing limit could behave differently. But condition can produce the same pattern. For Żoliborz apartments marketed to students, compare only units needing a similar amount of work before drawing conclusions.
 
Fair caveat. Financing probably links the two explanations: fees may not set value, but they can narrow what a buyer can offer after allowing for renovation. That is why the lower-priced stock needs to be split by condition. A cheap unit needing immediate work is not financially equivalent to a ready-to-let unit at the same asking price.
 
Seller motivation may be visible in the timing. In Praga-Północ, for ordinary flats aimed at students, I’d pay more attention to a reduction after several quiet weeks than to a listing launched below nearby asking prices. The former may indicate changed expectations; the latter could simply reflect condition. Watch when cuts occur relative to the roughly 34-day period.
 
And don’t treat disappearance as a completed sale. A withdrawn listing could have sold, been paused, changed agent or returned under a new description; without confirmation, its final price is unknown. I’d keep completed sales, active stock and withdrawn stock in separate groups. Otherwise the 1.9% movement can look more meaningful than the underlying evidence supports.
 
For Ochota, I’d split purpose-built student accommodation from ordinary apartments, then compare new-listing volume with genuine removals over the same period. If fresh supply keeps replacing withdrawn stock, waiting for a broad cut may not help. For a specific purchase, shortlist comparable-condition units, calculate an all-in ceiling including fees and work, and make offers to older listings rather than relying on the Warsaw-wide average.
 
Back
Top