What closing on a Johannesburg new-build taught me

AishaSlate

Homeowner
Established
Putting all available cash into completion would have left me exposed to the first repair after moving in. I’ve now completed on a new-build flat in Johannesburg, following several unsuccessful offers and more paperwork than I expected.

The final document week taught me to assign every outstanding item to a named person and confirm lender timing rather than assume the next step was already moving. I also kept a maintenance reserve instead of treating a new build as expense-free. Earlier rejections helped me judge later opportunities, but I did not want search fatigue to push me beyond my limit.

For those who have completed a first purchase, what did the period between accepted offer and closing reveal that the beginner guides did not?
 
Congratulations. The lesson I wish more buyers heard is that completion is not the point when spending stops. Even with a new build, cash gives you room for small fixes, moving costs and things you only notice after living there. I’d rather move in gradually than use the entire reserve on furniture during week one.
 
Did the rejected offers change what you offered later, or did they mainly clarify which flats were worth pursuing? There’s a fine line between learning from rejection and gradually bidding beyond your original limit because you’re tired of searching.
 
I’d add a caveat to the “every next step needs an owner” lesson: knowing the person responsible is not enough unless you also know what they are waiting for. One delayed item can sit between the lender, seller’s side and buyer without anyone treating it as theirs. A short written list of outstanding items and dependencies can prevent a lot of vague chasing.
 
What happened during the final document week? Was the delay mostly uncertainty about timing, or were documents being corrected and sent around again? That period seems especially awkward for moving plans because “nearly complete” is not the same as having a dependable handover date.
 
On moving coordination, I would avoid locking in anything difficult to change until completion is genuinely settled. That can mean tolerating an inconvenient overlap, but it may be less painful than arranging movers, access and deliveries around an optimistic date. The cheapest schedule on paper is not always the least risky one.
 
Was there an inspection before completion, and did it separate cosmetic items from anything needing prompt attention? A new-build label can make buyers mentally skip the repair reserve, yet minor findings can still compete with curtains, appliances and moving expenses for the same cash.
 
I slightly disagree with treating all rejected offers as useful data. A rejection only tells you something if you understand why it happened. Otherwise buyers may draw the wrong conclusion and raise the next offer unnecessarily. I’d record the price, conditions, timing and any feedback received, while accepting that some decisions will remain opaque.
 
That’s fair. The useful part may be learning about your own limits rather than decoding the seller. If each rejection makes you abandon another condition or dip further into the post-closing reserve, the search is changing the deal in a dangerous way. Set the cash floor before the next offer, not while negotiating it.
 
The practical checklist emerging here is: keep a reserve, write down each outstanding action and dependency, confirm lender timing, avoid committing the move too early, and inspect without assuming “new” means “nothing to fix.” I’d also keep a running list of expected and unexpected fees so the remaining cash figure stays realistic.
 
One more question for the original poster: looking back, which single point between accepted offer and completion created the most uncertainty? That answer would probably be more useful to Johannesburg buyers than the smooth parts, especially if it shows what you would ask earlier next time.
 
Back
Top