Cash and attention were both tight near closing. That became clearer during the purchase of my first detached home in Toronto than it ever was while viewing properties.
Several rejected offers came first, followed by an accepted one and a document stage that ran longer than expected. The main financial lesson was to keep transaction fees, moving expenses and an initial repair reserve outside the amount available for the purchase itself. The coordination lesson was to write down every deadline, dependency and contact rather than assume the lender or another party would prompt me.
I also stopped treating every failed offer as equally informative. If I could identify whether price, conditions or timing made the difference, I adjusted the next offer; if not, I recorded it without drawing a firm conclusion. For those who have closed before, which unexpected fee or final-week handoff caused the most trouble?
Several rejected offers came first, followed by an accepted one and a document stage that ran longer than expected. The main financial lesson was to keep transaction fees, moving expenses and an initial repair reserve outside the amount available for the purchase itself. The coordination lesson was to write down every deadline, dependency and contact rather than assume the lender or another party would prompt me.
I also stopped treating every failed offer as equally informative. If I could identify whether price, conditions or timing made the difference, I adjusted the next offer; if not, I recorded it without drawing a firm conclusion. For those who have closed before, which unexpected fee or final-week handoff caused the most trouble?