What should a $1,355,000 NYC condo valuation service actually include?

kai_rents

Seller
A few service descriptions have now raised a more basic question: what decision is the valuation actually meant to support? This concerns a New York condo priced around $1,355,000, and the offers range from a simple estimate to negotiation and coordination after an offer.

I want the quoted scope to identify the written deliverables, turnaround time, fee basis, relevant building and nearby-sale research, and the person responsible for each handoff. The document trail matters too—will I receive the comparables and adjustment reasoning, or only a headline number?

It is fine if negotiation or closing coordination costs extra. I just want the exclusions, deadlines and point where the service ends set out before payment.
 
At minimum, I would expect a written value range, the effective date, the comparable sales used, and an explanation of adjustments for condition, floor, view, outdoor space and building differences. The quote should separately list negotiation and closing coordination rather than hiding them inside “valuation.” Also ask whether questions about the report are included or billed again.
 
Is this for deciding what to offer, challenging an asking price, refinancing, or simply checking current equity? And will the purchase involve financing? Those answers change the useful timeline. A detailed report arriving after an offer deadline is not much help, while a quick estimate may be too thin for a lender or a serious price dispute.
 
I agree about asking the purpose, but I’d push back on treating offer-to-closing support as part of the valuation itself. Combining everything can blur responsibility. A strong valuation provider might reasonably stop after explaining the evidence.

The important thing is knowing who takes over afterward. Get named responsibilities in writing: who handles price discussions, who tracks document requests, what response time is promised, and what happens if that person is unavailable.
 
For a New York condo, “local expertise” should be demonstrated through relevant evidence, not just a citywide label. Ask how many comparables come from the same building or genuinely similar nearby buildings, and how older or materially different sales are treated. Current listings can add context, but they are not completed transactions.

I’d also want the document trail preserved: initial assumptions, later corrections, supporting material and the final conclusion. Otherwise it becomes difficult to understand why the number changed.
 
Send each provider the same one-page request and compare the answers side by side. Include the $1,355,000 condo, your decision deadline and the exact help wanted. Ask for total fees, payment points, turnaround, revision policy, included calls, exclusions and the person responsible for each stage.

Add a fallback question: if they cannot meet the deadline or continue after the valuation, what usable work do you receive and what fees remain payable? That exposes the cash downside better than a headline price does.
 
One more test: ask what independent evidence could cause them to revise the valuation. If the answer is effectively “our number is our number,” the service may be selling confidence rather than analysis. I’d choose the clearest written scope and strongest comparable reasoning, then arrange negotiation or coordination separately if those tasks are not explicitly included.
 
Back
Top