What should a London tenant placement service actually include?

readTheEcho

Mortgage adviser
Established
Verified Pro
The providers say their service is comprehensive, but I am hesitant because they appear to be describing two different jobs. This is a London studio valued at about £1,037,000, and I need to know whether the quote covers support with the purchase, finding a tenant after completion, or both.

If it is acquisition support, I want a named person responsible for negotiation, documents and deadlines through completion. If it is tenant placement, I need the scope to identify who handles enquiries, viewings, applicant checks, negotiation and move-in, along with the point where responsibility ends. What would normally be written into each UK fee, including response targets and additional charges?
 
First clarify whether you mean support buying the studio or finding a tenant after completion. “Offer and closing” sounds like the purchase, while tenant placement normally concerns the later letting. If a provider covers both, insist on two separate written scopes and fees. Otherwise each side can blame the other during the handover.
 
For the placement part, I would expect the quote to state who handles enquiries, viewings, applicant information, negotiation, document coordination and move-in arrangements. It should also say exactly where responsibility ends.

Ask for named response times for new enquiries and offers, not just “prompt support”, plus a list of every possible extra charge and cancellation cost.
 
I’d push back on using the £1,037,000 value as the main measure of service. Placement work is driven more by the intended tenancy, rent, condition and level of management required than by the purchase price. A fast reply is useful, but it does not prove local expertise. Ask how they would position this particular studio and what evidence supports that approach.
 
Good point. Bruno, do you already know the expected rent and whether the service ends once a tenant is found, at signing, or at move-in? Also, who are the three people you expect to be coordinating? Without those details, providers can all claim to include “document support” while meaning completely different things.
 
The document trail matters as much as the headline scope. I’d want each offer and change of terms recorded in writing, with a clear list of outstanding items, the person responsible and the deadline. If communication happens by phone, ask for a written recap. That gives everyone one version of events when several people are involved.
 
Don’t overlook the cash downside if placement fails or completion slips. Ask what fees remain payable if no suitable tenant proceeds, someone withdraws, or the property is not ready on schedule. The fallback plan could be restarting marketing, pausing the instruction or transferring work elsewhere, but the contract should explain the cost of each route.
 
“Local expertise” needs testing rather than accepting. Ask for recent, independently verifiable examples involving comparable London studios, together with an explanation of how location and the intended tenant market affected the process. I’d also ask who handles UK and local compliance questions. The exact obligations depend on the arrangement and jurisdiction, so vague reassurance is not enough.
 
A simple comparison table may expose the differences:

• work before marketing • enquiry and viewing handling • applicant assessment • offer negotiation • documents and signing coordination • move-in handover • response deadline at each stage • named accountable person • included fee, extras and withdrawal costs • endpoint of the service

Send the same table to every provider and require written answers. That is more useful than comparing package names.
 
The distinction Anna raised is exactly what I had blurred. I’m trying to judge post-completion tenant placement while also understanding whether anyone coordinates the handover from the purchase process. I’ll separate those scopes rather than expecting one label to cover both.

The comparison table, withdrawal costs and written response deadlines are the missing pieces. I’ll also ask each provider to define whether completion of its job means introduction, signing or move-in.
 
That sounds much more workable. I would add one final scenario to your questions: “The purchase completes, the property is ready, but the preferred applicant withdraws just before signing—who does what next, by when, and for what additional fee?” A concrete failed-transaction scenario often reveals more than a polished normal-process explanation. If the answer crosses several firms, require a named handoff point between them.
 
Back
Top