What should a Toronto mortgage broker actually handle through closing?

C$540,000 is the approximate price of the Toronto studio, but I cannot tell whether the broker's proposed service justifies its cost. One scope suggests active help through the financing conditions and closing handoff; another seems limited to placing the application with a lender.

What should be confirmed before I provide documents? I am looking for named responsibility, response times during an offer deadline, complete compensation and fee disclosure, a document-tracking process, and a clear plan if the first lender or product does not work.

I would also like independent evidence of relevant studio and building experience rather than a general claim of Toronto knowledge. What questions would expose the cash downside of a failed or delayed application, and where should a broker's responsibility reasonably end?
 
I would expect a written scope before sharing documents. It should say who reviews the file, who submits it, how lender requests are relayed, when updates arrive and what happens if the main contact is unavailable during an offer deadline. Compensation and any buyer-paid fees should be disclosed clearly. “We stay involved” is too vague unless it includes coordination through approval conditions and a defined handoff for closing.
 
Is this a purchase or a refinance? Also, how firm are the offer timeline and down payment? Those facts change what useful service looks like.

For a studio, I’d also ask how they investigate whether the property itself could narrow lender options. Local expertise should produce specific questions about the unit and building, not merely a claim that the broker knows Toronto.
 
I disagree slightly with making one broker “accountable” for everything until closing. The lender, lawyer, appraiser and any condo-related contacts control parts of the process. A broker cannot guarantee their response times.

What the broker can own is the communication trail: dated requests, confirmation of submissions, outstanding conditions and prompt escalation. Ask about the cash downside too—buyer-paid charges, appraisal costs if applicable, and whether a suggested mortgage has trade-offs beyond the headline rate.
 
Send each candidate the same one-page scenario and request a written reply with: included work, excluded work, fees or compensation, normal and urgent response times, document list, named backup contact, and the fallback if the first lender declines or misses the offer deadline. Then ask for a redacted sample status update or process timeline. That gives you independent evidence of how they communicate and makes the scopes comparable instead of relying on sales language.
 
Back
Top