What should buyer representation cover for a $1,385,000 New York coastal home?

RightPorch

Developer
I’m comparing services described as “buyer representation” for a coastal home in New York at around $1,385,000, but the label seems almost meaningless. Some appear to cover negotiation and coordination through closing; others mainly provide an introduction.

Before signing anything, what should I insist is written into the scope? I’m particularly concerned about fees, response times during an offer, coastal-property knowledge, the document trail, and who is accountable after an offer is accepted. I’d also like a fallback if the assigned person becomes unavailable. Concrete US examples are welcome, but not sales pitches.
 
At minimum, I’d want a written fee amount or calculation, any circumstances in which someone else may pay it, the termination terms, and a task list covering search, offer preparation, negotiation and coordination up to closing. It should also name one accountable contact and define response arrangements for active negotiations. “We’re responsive” is not enough; ask what happens when an offer deadline falls outside normal hours.
 
“New York” needs narrowing down before local expertise can be judged. Is this New York City, Long Island, or elsewhere in the state? Also, is the coastal home detached, part of a condo, or another form of ownership? The relevant inspections, insurance questions, building documents and local participants could differ considerably. Financing versus cash also changes which deadlines and risks need coordination.
 
I’d add a caveat to Luca’s list: a larger scope is not automatically better. A representative coordinating inspections, insurance inquiries, title work or legal communication is different from independently verifying those matters. Ask who selects each outside party, who receives the reports, and whether the buyer gets copies directly. The useful service is often preserving the trail and chasing unresolved items, not pretending to replace specialists.
 
Put both proposals into a simple comparison table: task, named person, fee, response commitment, deliverable and what happens if the deal fails. Include offer revisions, inspection follow-up, insurance availability or cost concerns, appraisal issues if financed, document delivery and closing coordination.

For the cash downside, ask which expenses may be incurred before closing and which are refundable or non-refundable under the eventual agreements. Don’t accept a verbal answer where the written engagement says something broader.
 
One more practical test: send each service the same hypothetical—an important property document arrives late while an offer or contract deadline is approaching. Ask who contacts the buyer, who flags the decision, how instructions are recorded, and who takes over if the main contact is absent. Their answer should separate coordination from legal, lending, insurance and inspection decisions. If accountability stays vague, I’d treat the service as an introduction rather than full representation.
 
Back
Top