What should tenant placement actually include for Nairobi student housing?

nia.voss

Homeowner
Established
I’m comparing what “tenant placement” is supposed to mean in Nairobi and finding wildly different scopes. Some providers include negotiation and document coordination; others make an introduction and disappear.

For student housing priced around KES 134,200,000, what should a buyer or owner insist on in writing—particularly fees, response times, local knowledge and responsibility between an offer and closing? I’m trying to decide whether an end-to-end service is worth paying for or whether the roles should be separated. Kenya-specific examples would help, but I’m not looking for a sales pitch.
 
At minimum, ask each provider to describe the process event by event: marketing, enquiries, applicant screening, viewings, negotiation, deposit handling, lease preparation, move-in and handover. Beside every event, put the responsible person, fee trigger and response deadline. If they will not define those three things, “end-to-end” means very little.
 
One point needs clarifying: are you buying the student-housing property and expecting this firm to assist with that closing, or hiring it to fill rooms after acquisition? Tenant placement normally describes the latter, while offer-to-closing work concerns the property transaction. Combining them could obscure who is responsible for what.
 
I would push back on the idea that one provider should remain accountable for the entire journey. A placement firm can coordinate communication, but it should not replace the buyer’s own Kenyan legal and financial advisers for the acquisition. The useful arrangement may be a named coordinator plus a written division of responsibilities, rather than one vague promise of total accountability.
 
The cash downside deserves more attention than the service label. Ask whether the fee becomes payable on introduction, accepted application, signed lease, receipt of deposit or actual move-in. Also ask what happens if the applicant withdraws, fails to pay, or leaves quickly. Those answers determine whether the provider shares any placement risk or simply charges for leads.
 
On response times, avoid asking whether they are “responsive.” Give them scenarios: an offer arrives late in the day, an applicant’s documents are incomplete, or a signing is delayed. Who replies, by when, and who is the backup if that person is unavailable? Their proposed deadlines can then become part of the written scope instead of remaining a sales assurance.
 
For local expertise, I’d want evidence tied to this particular building and student market, not broad claims about Nairobi. Ask how they would establish achievable rents, expected lease timing and the academic-calendar effect; then ask what independent material supports those conclusions. Existing leases, occupancy information and deposit records should also be reconciled during the acquisition, with the appropriate Kenyan advisers confirming the document position.
 
The distinction Rafael raised is probably the source of my confusion. I’m looking at placement support in connection with the acquisition, but I had treated it as one continuous service. I’ll separate the purchase closing from post-acquisition letting and ask for two scopes, even if the same firm coordinates both. I’ll also compare the fee trigger and failure/replacement terms rather than just the headline percentage.
 
That separation should make the proposals much easier to compare. I’d additionally request a redacted example workflow or blank reporting template—not details of another client. It should show what gets recorded after an enquiry, viewing, applicant decision and payment. A usable document trail matters when several rooms and applicants are moving at once.
 
Build in a fallback plan before appointing anyone. Set milestones for delivery of the letting plan, marketing material, enquiry reports and completed applicant files. If a milestone is missed, the agreement should say whether you can move the work elsewhere and what information must be handed over. Have the final wording checked locally, especially around money, documents and termination.
 
Back
Top