When should I arrange an independent inspection on a Sydney new build?

TheoCalder

Buyer
Established
Four bedrooms make this a substantial purchase, so I’m uneasy about relying only on the builder’s required sign-off. It is a new-build serviced apartment in Sydney, and I want someone acting for me to look for poor finishes, drainage problems and insulation issues while they can still be documented clearly.

When is that inspection most valuable: before completion if access is granted, during handover, or near the end of the defects period? I’m also trying to budget beyond the inspection fee. Furniture timing, moving costs and the insurance excess could all affect the first month, and I need to understand whether anything outside the apartment would fall under common property rather than my inspection.
 
A municipal sign-off and an inspection for your benefit are not necessarily looking for the same things. If access is allowed, I’d inspect before completion so visible defects can be recorded before handover. A second visit near the defect-period deadline could catch issues that only appear after use.

If you can afford only one, handover is probably more useful than waiting until the end.
 
That distinction helps. I need to ask whether the builder will allow access before completion and exactly what areas an inspector can see. With a serviced apartment, I’m also unsure whether drainage and insulation outside the unit would be included or treated as common property.

I had budgeted for moving and the first mortgage payment, but not two inspections. Is there anything else people usually leave out of the first-month budget?
 
I wouldn’t assume two inspections automatically solve it. The value depends heavily on scope: finishes inside the apartment are easier to examine than concealed work or building-wide drainage. Ask what the inspector can assess, what is excluded, whether photos are permitted, and how findings must be submitted to the builder.

Also read the serviced-apartment arrangements carefully. Inspection defects and questions about lease length or operating obligations may need to be handled separately.
 
The first-month budget is where I’d be cautious. Keep an emergency fund after allowing for moving costs, service charges, insurance excess, immediate repairs and the first mortgage payment. Inspection findings can also affect furniture timing: there is little point filling rooms before messy remedial work.

I’d prioritise one thorough pre-completion or handover inspection over buying furniture early, then decide later whether a second visit is affordable.
 
Agreed on protecting the cash buffer, but I would not leave the only inspection until near the end of the defect period. By then you may have spent months wondering whether a mark, leak or poor finish existed at handover.

Next steps: confirm pre-completion access, obtain a written inspection scope, clarify treatment of common areas, and ask how defects are lodged. Then compare that cost with the reserve left after service charges, moving, insurance excess and the first mortgage payment. If funds remain, schedule a later follow-up for defects that emerge through normal use.
 
Back
Top