talia_details
Homeowner
The builder treats the municipal sign-off as enough, while I see an independent snagging check as protection for the buyer. I am now 78 days into purchasing a new 5-bed country home in Birmingham, so I need to settle the timing soon.
If the contract allows access, is it better to inspect while defects can still be addressed before completion? If access is restricted, would a handover inspection plus a follow-up before the builder’s defect deadline be the practical alternative? I am particularly concerned about drainage, insulation and poor finishing that may only become apparent after moving in. I also need to keep enough cash aside for the first mortgage payment, immediate repairs and any service charges, rather than treating the inspection as the only post-completion cost.
If the contract allows access, is it better to inspect while defects can still be addressed before completion? If access is restricted, would a handover inspection plus a follow-up before the builder’s defect deadline be the practical alternative? I am particularly concerned about drainage, insulation and poor finishing that may only become apparent after moving in. I also need to keep enough cash aside for the first mortgage payment, immediate repairs and any service charges, rather than treating the inspection as the only post-completion cost.