When should I inspect a new-build 2-bed villa in San Francisco?

bikesAndHarbor

First-time buyer
The builder’s position is that municipal approval makes another inspection redundant. I am not persuaded, because approval may not resolve buyer concerns about drainage, insulation, energy performance or the quality of the finishes in this new 2-bed San Francisco villa.

My budget probably allows one independent visit. An earlier inspection could leave time for corrections, while waiting until handover means the work should be complete; using the visit late in the defect period seems less useful if problems have already affected us. Moving expenses, immediate repairs and the first mortgage payment also limit what I can spend. Which timing protects the difficult-to-reverse issues best, and what contract wording on access or defect reporting should I check first?
 
If the builder permits access, I’d inspect before completion, while there is still a chance for findings to be addressed before you move in. A municipal pass wouldn’t reassure me about every finish or performance concern a buyer might have.

I wouldn’t wait until the defect period is nearly over for the only inspection. By then you may have spent months documenting problems and arguing over whether they were present at handover.
 
I see the logic, but if there is money for only one visit, handover may be better than an earlier inspection because the villa should actually be finished. Otherwise the inspector could be looking at incomplete insulation, drainage work or surfaces that are still due to change.

What does your contract say about pre-completion access and the defect period? Also, does the budget include any service charges, insurance excess and immediate repairs? Those could matter more than buying furniture straight away.
 
That’s a fair caveat. I’d first ask whether an inspector can structure one appointment around the latest point before handover when the work is substantially complete. If that isn’t possible, handover would be my second choice.

Keep part of the emergency fund untouched until the findings are clear. Furniture can be delayed; drainage or insulation concerns are harder to live around.
 
Back
Top