When should I inspect a new-build 5-bed Denver duplex?

FarVale

Homeowner
The builder says our new 5-bed duplex in Denver will pass the municipal checks, so an independent inspection is unnecessary. I keep hearing about drainage, insulation and finish defects that only become obvious after handover.

Would you arrange an inspection before completion, at handover, or shortly before the defect period expires? The deadline is starting to feel real, with moving costs and the first mortgage payment approaching. I would rather pay now than deplete the emergency fund or argue later about shared building costs.
 
I would not treat the municipal checks and an inspection for your benefit as interchangeable. If the builder permits access, an earlier inspection can catch items that will soon be covered; then a handover inspection can concentrate on operation, finishes and visible drainage. Get the access rules and timing agreed before booking anyone.
 
How far along is construction, and what does your contract actually call the defect period? Also, does the duplex have any shared exterior maintenance or service charges? That matters because a drainage finding might be solely your issue, the other unit’s issue, or something managed jointly. I would clarify responsibility before deciding what belongs on the inspector’s list.
 
I’m not convinced three inspections are automatically worthwhile. An inspector arriving before completion may find a lot of items the builder already intends to finish, while a late visit cannot reveal insulation once everything is closed up. If funds are tight, I’d prioritize a thorough inspection close to handover and keep some money available for a targeted return visit if the findings justify it.
 
Keep the inspection budget separate from the cash needed after closing. Moving, utility setup, the first mortgage payment, an insurance deductible and small immediate repairs can arrive together. Furniture is the easiest thing to delay. If the report identifies a defect, ask the builder in writing whether it will be corrected and when; don’t quietly pay for builder work just to meet your move-in date.
 
The near-expiry inspection is useful as a final sweep, but I would not make it the only one. It leaves little time to distinguish a real defect from normal settling, establish who is responsible, and submit whatever notice your agreement requires.

A practical sequence is: confirm inspection access now, inspect at the most useful available stage, document the handover condition with dated photos, and put the defect-period deadline in the calendar well ahead of time. Check the actual contract procedure rather than relying on an informal promise from the site team.
 
Back
Top