Why are similar London flats moving at such different speeds?

jade_details

Property investor
Established
First post, so apologies if this is obvious. I’m comparing mostly flats in London between £415,000 and £622,400. The typical listing in my sample has been visible for 69 days, but the properties are not moving together at all: some disappear quickly while apparently similar ones sit.

My suspicion is that remaining lease length explains much of the difference. Before I lean too heavily on that, what are people seeing at street level? I’m especially interested in completed sales, withdrawn listings and when sellers start cutting prices.
 
Lease length is a plausible factor, but it rarely works alone. Service charges, condition and whether the asking price was realistic at launch can separate two superficially similar flats. A quick disappearance is not necessarily a sale either; it may have been withdrawn or moved to another agent. I’d compare against recent completed sales rather than treating listing time as the outcome.
 
The area labels may be too broad. My specific concern is that flats grouped under one London district can differ substantially in station access, street quality and immediate surroundings, even within the £415,000 to £622,400 range.

I would also record how many competing flats are newly listed each week. If transport and micro-location are closely matched, lease length and price-cut timing become more persuasive explanations. If they are not, a listing may reach 69 days simply because buyers keep choosing fresher homes in better-positioned streets.
 
Buyer financing is the practical constraint here. A shorter lease can reduce the number of people able or willing to proceed, but that does not automatically make it the main reason one flat sits longer than another.

I would first compare when each seller reacts to weak interest. If a realistically priced flat still struggles despite being financeable, lease and condition deserve closer attention. If the owner holds an ambitious price while new listings arrive, seller motivation and delayed reductions are the stronger explanation. Condition will matter especially for buyers already near the top of their budget.
 
Split the sample into sold subject to contract, withdrawn and still advertised; otherwise “disappeared” properties will distort it. Then note lease length, condition, service charge where stated, first price, cut date and the closest completed sale. I’d also compare within genuinely small neighbourhoods. That should show whether 69 days reflects the market or a cluster of overambitious listings.
 
Back
Top