My preference is to buy the 2-bedroom coastal home in Los Angeles and furnish it slowly. The obstacle is that a price of about $930,000 would leave only around $15,000 after my deposit and present closing estimate.
Cosmetic purchases can wait, but an urgent roof, boiler or other inspection item cannot. I also do not know whether I should subtract the first mortgage payment, moving expenses, insurance deductible and any association charges before treating the remainder as emergency savings.
Would you keep the money together as one reserve until the inspection is complete, or earmark limited amounts for immediate work and basic setup? I am concerned that the costs due soon after closing could leave almost no genuine fallback.
Cosmetic purchases can wait, but an urgent roof, boiler or other inspection item cannot. I also do not know whether I should subtract the first mortgage payment, moving expenses, insurance deductible and any association charges before treating the remainder as emergency savings.
Would you keep the money together as one reserve until the inspection is complete, or earmark limited amounts for immediate work and basic setup? I am concerned that the costs due soon after closing could leave almost no genuine fallback.