Would $15,000 after closing be too thin for a $930,000 coastal LA home?

otis.drew

Homeowner
Established
My preference is to buy the 2-bedroom coastal home in Los Angeles and furnish it slowly. The obstacle is that a price of about $930,000 would leave only around $15,000 after my deposit and present closing estimate.

Cosmetic purchases can wait, but an urgent roof, boiler or other inspection item cannot. I also do not know whether I should subtract the first mortgage payment, moving expenses, insurance deductible and any association charges before treating the remainder as emergency savings.

Would you keep the money together as one reserve until the inspection is complete, or earmark limited amounts for immediate work and basic setup? I am concerned that the costs due soon after closing could leave almost no genuine fallback.
 
One detail I’m struggling with is what counts as genuinely available cash. Should I reserve the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and any service charges before calling the remainder my emergency fund?
 
Yes. I’d first make a calendar of everything due between closing and your next two paydays: moving, utility setup, mortgage, insurance and any association charges. Whatever survives that exercise is the real buffer. At this price, $15,000 before those items sounds tight to me.
 
Is the property a detached house, condo or townhome? “Coastal home” leaves a major gap here. With an association, the roof may not be your direct responsibility, but dues or a special assessment could be. With a detached house, you need more room for individual systems failing.
 
I wouldn’t create four equal pots. Keep most of it as one emergency reserve, then set hard caps for moving and essential purchases. A bed, basic table and window coverings are different from furnishing every room.
 
The inspection findings should drive the split. Ask for estimated remaining life and urgency, not just a list of defects. Something marked “monitor” belongs in a future maintenance plan; an active leak or unsafe electrical issue affects whether you proceed, renegotiate or walk away.
 
The detail that changes my view is how quickly the reserve could be restored. $15,000 has very different consequences if a normal monthly surplus rebuilds it promptly than if one repair would leave the buyer exposed for most of a year.

I would make the decision conditional rather than label the amount adequate or inadequate now. First price everything due around closing, then review the inspection and the actual monthly budget. If the remaining reserve can recover quickly and there are no urgent defects, proceeding may be workable. If not, reducing the purchase price is the stronger option.
 
Also get the actual insurance quote before deciding. Near-coastal location and property condition can affect both the premium and deductible. A nominal emergency fund is less reassuring if one covered event requires a large out-of-pocket amount.
 
And if it is in an association, read the budget and recent meeting material rather than looking only at the monthly charge. Low dues do not necessarily mean low risk if major shared work has been deferred.
 
There’s another timing trap: the first mortgage payment may not fall immediately after closing, but that doesn’t make the money free. Confirm the due date with the lender and leave it untouched. The same goes for any taxes or insurance not fully handled through closing.
 
My practical order would be: correct the cash-to-close estimate, reserve known bills, fund only inspection-identified urgent work, set a modest moving cap, then buy furniture gradually. If that leaves almost no general emergency money, reduce the purchase budget rather than pretending the furniture category is the problem.
 
Don’t forget the boring first-week purchases—locks if needed, cleaning, small tools, smoke-alarm batteries and basic kitchen items. None is dramatic, but together they can eat into a tightly allocated moving budget. Keep a miscellaneous line rather than pulling each one from emergency savings.
 
Good distinction from Alex: recovery rate matters. OP, after the new mortgage and normal living costs, how much could you realistically add back each month? No need to post the amount, but test a repair bill arriving in month one and ask how long the reserve would stay depleted.
 
I’d add one caveat to the inspection discussion: it cannot predict every failure. A clean report lowers uncertainty; it doesn’t eliminate it. That’s why I wouldn’t spend the remaining cash proactively replacing merely old items unless the condition or insurance requirements make it necessary.
 
Before making an offer, create three versions of the first year: no repairs, ordinary repairs and one expensive surprise. Include association charges if relevant and your insurance deductible. If only the best case leaves breathing room, the home is beyond a comfortable maximum even if the lender approves it.
 
One more question for the lender: is your estimated closing figure based on a specific closing date? Prepaid interest and other timing-related amounts can change. Use the latest written cash-to-close estimate for planning, not the earliest worksheet.
 
I’d keep furniture nearly at zero for the first month beyond essentials. Living in the space often changes what you think you need anyway. The stronger reason to wait, though, is that the first utility bills and maintenance needs will reveal your true monthly margin.
 
The thread seems to point to a decision rule rather than a magic allocation: subtract every known post-closing obligation from the $15,000, price the urgent inspection items, and compare the untouched remainder with your insurance deductible and ability to replenish it. If that result feels fragile, lower the target price before shopping for furniture.
 
Back
Top