Would an offer 3% under asking be reasonable for this Madrid house?

grain.brisk

Seller
Established
A small update: the agent says another buyer may drop the protections I want, which makes me wonder whether the real negotiation is about risk rather than the headline price.

The detached house is listed at €294,400 and has been on the Madrid market for 22 days. It will require some modernisation. I am thinking of offering about 3% less, supported by proof of finance and flexibility over completion. Would it be better to seek a defined repair credit rather than argue over every defect?

I can keep the explanation brief, but I do not want an unfavourable valuation to put my deposit at open-ended risk. Which finance, appraisal or inspection conditions would you refuse to surrender, and what expiry would give the seller enough time without leaving me tied up indefinitely?
 
Three percent is not inherently aggressive. Keep the explanation short: the figure reflects the updating required and the limited evidence from completed comparables, while your financing proof and flexible completion make the offer straightforward. Give it a clear but reasonable expiry rather than leaving it open indefinitely. I would retain finance, valuation and an independent technical inspection.
 
Before choosing the number, ask what matters to the seller besides price. Do they need a particular completion date, or are they simply testing the market? Also clarify what “clean financing” means in practice. A lender’s initial approval does not necessarily answer what happens if the property valuation comes in below the agreed price.
 
I’d be cautious about reading much into 22 days. Detached homes can be difficult to compare even within Madrid, and similar asking prices do not prove that the listing is overpriced. Your offer is still reasonable, but I would not build an elaborate valuation argument from weak evidence. Submit it calmly and accept that the seller may prefer to wait or counter.
 
Do not waive the technical inspection merely because the visible updating is already reflected in your offer. An inspection is also about defects you cannot price from a viewing. If something material appears, you can discuss a price reduction or repair credit then.

Deposit exposure needs particular care. The effect of withdrawing can depend on the wording and form of the Spanish contract, so make sure any finance, valuation or inspection protection is actually written into what you sign rather than assumed.
 
Thanks all. I still do not have enough completed-sale evidence, so I won’t pretend €285,600 is a precise valuation. My financing proof is ready, but I cannot cover an open-ended appraisal gap. I’ll ask the agent about the seller’s preferred timing and motivation, then make a concise written offer with an explicit validity period and protections tied to finance, valuation and inspection.
 
That sounds balanced. I would decide your appraisal-gap limit before submitting, even if the limit is zero. Otherwise you may be tempted to find extra cash under pressure later. The seller can then assess the real package: about €8,800 below asking, documented financing, timing flexibility and clearly stated conditions.
 
One more point: do not transfer or commit a deposit until you understand the withdrawal consequences in that specific document. An agent saying another buyer will waive protection tells you nothing about whether that buyer exists, is financeable or will actually complete. It is not a reason to accept a loss you cannot afford.
 
I partly disagree with using “needs updating” twice. If the condition is already the basis for offering 3% less, then later requesting credits for the same visible work looks like double counting. Reserve renegotiation for significant findings that were not reasonably apparent when you made the offer.
 
Agreed on separating visible updating from newly discovered defects. I’d structure the offer in five short parts: price, financing evidence, acceptable completion window, inspection/finance/valuation conditions, and expiry. No long defence of the number. If the seller dislikes €285,600 but values your flexibility, they can counter; if they refuse ordinary protections outright, that is useful information too.
 
Back
Top