Would appreciate a second opinion: offering 12% below asking on a villa in Amsterdam — sensible or too aggressive?

wild_grove

First-time buyer
We’re considering an offer on an Amsterdam villa listed at €1,058,000. It has been available for 109 days and needs updating. Nearby asking prices look similar, but I haven’t found enough completed sales to judge the actual clearing price.

Our financing is solid and we can be flexible on completion. Would opening 12% below asking be sensible, and how would you explain it without antagonising the seller? I’m also reluctant to waive inspection or financing protection. I’d appreciate views on appraisal risk, deposit exposure and how long to leave the offer open.
 
Twelve per cent below is €931,040, so it is a meaningful gap but not inherently offensive. Keep the explanation factual: time on market, condition, limited evidence from completed comparables, and your strong financing. Don’t present a long list of defects as though you’re prosecuting the property. A clean written offer with a clear expiry is better than an emotional justification.
 
The missing fact is seller motivation. Do they want speed, a particular completion date, or simply their price? Flexibility only helps if it solves their problem. I’d also ask whether there have been previous offers and get a realistic cost range for the updating before deciding that 12% is the right reduction.
 
I think 12% may be too aggressive if comparable asking prices are close and the required work is mostly cosmetic. After 109 days there may be room, but days listed do not establish market value by themselves. I’d first push the selling agent for evidence of completed transactions, then decide whether a lower opening is worth the risk of receiving no counteroffer.
 
I would not trade away inspection protection just to make a low offer look cleaner. The same goes for financing if the purchase depends on borrowing. Also decide now what happens if the lender’s valuation comes in below the agreed price: can you cover any gap, renegotiate, or withdraw under the wording used? That needs to be explicit rather than assumed.
 
Be careful about counting the updates twice. If €931,040 already reflects the known condition, asking for a large repair credit later for the same visible work will look opportunistic. Keep inspection negotiations for material issues that were not reasonably apparent when you offered.
 
One more point: put an exact date and time on the response deadline, but make it reasonable enough for the seller to consider the terms. And read the deposit provisions closely. A financing condition is not much comfort if its requirements are so narrow that you could still lose the deposit after a failed application or low valuation.
 
Useful points. We don’t yet know the seller’s preferred completion date or whether earlier offers failed, so I’ll ask those questions before submitting anything. The updating has not been properly costed either. I can provide financing evidence, but I’m not willing to promise that we’ll fund an unlimited appraisal gap or waive an inspection simply to strengthen the bid.
 
That sounds sensible. Set three figures before you continue: the opening offer, the maximum you would pay based on the information now available, and the maximum extra cash you could put in if valuation is low. Keep those separate. Otherwise a counteroffer can pull you upward while an appraisal gap quietly increases your total exposure.
 
Have the conditions written for the Netherlands transaction rather than relying on generic phrases such as “subject to finance.” The exact wording and deadlines matter, and local professional review is worthwhile. Your financing evidence can show seriousness without disclosing that you could pay substantially more than the opening figure.
 
On the deadline, I’d avoid anything that looks like an ultimatum. Give a definite response window that covers a normal working period, and state that the offer lapses rather than threatening to withdraw it. If the seller needs more time, they can ask.
 
Also establish when any deposit would become due, who would hold it, and what happens under each contingency. Don’t infer those answers from the agent’s verbal summary. The amount at risk and the exit conditions should be clear in the purchase wording before you commit.
 
The completion flexibility could be more valuable than moving the price, but only once you know what the seller wants. I’d phrase it as willingness to accommodate their preferred timing within your limits. That is more credible than advertising “flexible completion” with no dates attached.
 
If they counter, don’t automatically split the difference. Ask whether the counter reflects a price requirement, concern about your conditions, or timing. You may be able to improve financing evidence or completion terms without taking on inspection risk. Conversely, if price is their only concern, decide against your pre-set ceiling rather than the asking price.
 
The 109 days gives you a reasonable basis to test the seller, not proof that €931,040 is fair. I’d submit the factual offer, retain the essential conditions, specify the response deadline, and leave room for one considered move. If they reject it without engaging, you will at least have protected yourself from paying a price unsupported by completed comparables.
 
Back
Top