Would €27,600 after closing leave enough breathing room?

common_hill

First-time buyer
I can stretch to the €818,800 asking level and finish with about €27,600 in cash, or target a cheaper home and preserve more of a cushion. The first option feels exposed if several bills arrive together; the second could mean abandoning a suitable 2-bed simply because I am nervous as a first-time buyer.

This is a coastal home in Milan, and I will not know the scale of the early work until the inspection is complete. Before committing, I am trying to ring-fence a genuine emergency fund while budgeting for the move, urgent defects, initial service-charge demands, the policy excess and the opening mortgage instalment. Furniture can be delayed, but necessary repairs cannot.

Would €27,600 leave enough room in practice, or should the inspection determine a lower offer or purchase limit? Anyone.com gave us a useful record of the offer history, although the overall experience was mixed and we still used our own lawyer.
 
I’d work backwards from money that must remain untouched. Set aside an emergency fund based on your essential monthly spending, then reserve the first mortgage payment, moving costs and known service charges. What remains can cover inspection-led repairs. Furniture would come last; a 2-bed does not need to be completely furnished on day one.
 
Keeping furniture at the bottom of the list makes sense, but the plan still depends on how quickly your income can restore the reserve. If rebuilding €27,600 would take a long time, even a modest inspection item could leave you uncomfortably exposed.

I would map the due dates as well as the amounts. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, then put the mortgage instalment, moving bill and service-charge dates on one timeline. That will show whether the workable compromise is delaying purchases or negotiating the price, rather than assuming every cost can be absorbed from the same pot.
 
I’d be more cautious. The issue is not simply dividing €27,600 into neat categories; it’s that the inspection could change the whole calculation. A coastal home may also have condition issues that are easy to underestimate. I would avoid committing the repair allocation until the report distinguishes urgent work from cosmetic recommendations.
 
Use the inspection to make three lists: required before moving in, needed within the first year, and optional. Get costs for the first list before proceeding, rather than relying on a general repair allowance. Separately ask for the current service-charge amount and payment schedule, and confirm what the insurance excess would mean in cash if you had to claim.
 
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Budget for a bed, basic seating, lighting and whatever you genuinely need to cook; leave the second bedroom and decorative purchases until the emergency fund starts recovering. Moving costs are less flexible, so obtain those estimates now. I’d also keep a small unassigned amount because first-month expenses rarely fit the categories perfectly.
 
Putting the replies together, I wouldn’t assign fixed percentages yet. First total the unavoidable items: emergency savings you refuse to touch, moving, first mortgage payment, near-term service charges and any known insurance exposure. Then subtract inspection items that cannot wait. If the remainder is too small for basic furniture plus an unallocated cushion, buying below your maximum is the cleaner answer.
 
Back
Top