Would you accept a £370 monthly shortfall on this London rental?

watchTheSlate

Real estate agent
I’m considering a 1-bed coastal home in London at roughly £425,100. Using a conservative rent of £2,621 and allowing for vacancy, management, maintenance reserves, insurance, property tax and financing, it comes out about £370 per month negative.

I can comfortably cover that, but the purchase seems dependent on rent or value rising. Would you regard this as a calculated long-term investment, or simply paying £370 monthly for an appreciation bet? What would make you buy or walk away?
 
On those numbers, I’d walk unless there is a compelling reason this particular property should outperform. The shortfall is £4,440 a year before any expense your model missed, and tenant turnover could make an individual year worse. Is mortgage principal repayment included in the £370 calculation, and have you tested what happens if financing becomes more expensive?
 
The breakdown matters more than the headline shortfall. Is £2,621 the achievable gross rent today, or an asking figure? I’d also separate predictable monthly costs from vacancy and maintenance reserves. Otherwise you can accidentally count a reserve as a definite loss—or underestimate the cash needed when a vacant period and repair happen together.
 
I don’t think negative cash flow automatically makes it a bad investment. Part of the payment may be building equity through principal repayment, so compare total return rather than rent minus outgoings alone.

That said, JinSchmidt is right that the current case leans on future growth. I’d run three versions: no rent or value growth, a turnover-heavy year, and higher financing costs. If holding it still feels acceptable in all three, the £370 may be a deliberate trade-off. If not, pass.
 
Back
Top