Would you buy a Warsaw rental starting PLN 2,074 a month negative?

handy_page

Property investor
Established
I’m considering a 3-bed apartment in Warsaw. The location appears to have durable rental demand, but using a conservative rent of PLN 10,830 and allowing for reserves, the property would run about PLN 2,074 per month negative.

I can afford the shortfall, but that alone does not make it sensible. The return seems to depend on rent growth or appreciation. Would you treat this as a calculated long-term investment, or as paying monthly for an appreciation bet? I’m particularly interested in the downside rather than reassurance about Warsaw.
 
At those numbers, I would call it an appreciation bet unless loan principal repayment accounts for a meaningful part of the PLN 2,074. Even then, cash flow matters: one vacancy, repair or financing change could widen the gap. I would only proceed if the deal still fits your plans without assuming higher rent or a higher resale value.
 
What exactly is included in “after reserves”? I’d want separate lines for vacancy allowance, management, routine maintenance, insurance, property tax and tenant turnover. A combined reserve can hide optimistic assumptions. Also, is PLN 10,830 supported by comparable rents for similar 3-bed apartments, or deliberately below them?
 
I disagree slightly that negative cash flow automatically makes this mainly an appreciation play. Part of the monthly outlay may be building equity through principal repayment, so the financing schedule matters. But that does not rescue a weak purchase price. Compare the principal reduction with the cash shortfall, then test what happens if rent stays flat, the apartment is vacant between tenants, or financing becomes more expensive.
 
I’d put this into three versions: your current case, a no-growth case with tenant turnover, and a stressed case with lower rent or higher financing costs. Then decide how many years of PLN 2,074-plus monthly support you are genuinely willing to provide. If only the optimistic version produces an acceptable return, negotiate the price or walk away.
 
Back
Top