Would you waive inspection on an older Amsterdam home?

new_trail

First-time buyer
We need to decide our inspection approach before making another offer. The trade-off is that we have already lost two older coastal homes in Amsterdam to bids with fewer conditions, yet taking on unknown defects at €777,400 could overwhelm our emergency fund.

The property looks reasonably cared for, but appearances do not answer questions about immediate repairs, the building’s age or future service charges. I understand why a very short inspection period is attractive, though it only works if an inspector can attend in time.

Would a pre-offer inspection be the better compromise, or could the condition be limited to major structural findings? I am trying to improve the offer without accepting a risk we could not comfortably fund after completion.
 
I wouldn’t waive it unless you could comfortably absorb a major surprise after completion. A pre-offer inspection seems like the cleaner compromise if access and timing allow. Otherwise, shorten the period only after confirming that an inspector can actually attend within it; an impressive deadline is useless if nobody is available.
 
One thing I should have asked: is this a standalone home or part of a shared building? If service charges apply, what do they cover, and how clear is the information you’ve received about future maintenance? That could materially change the risk even if the interior looks fine.
 
I’m less convinced by a narrowly worded “structural only” condition. Inspection findings do not always fit neat categories, and you could end up arguing over whether an expensive problem qualifies. The exact wording and effect will depend on the transaction, so have it checked locally rather than relying on a casual description from the agent.
 
Before the next offer, map out the cash remaining after moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess and immediate repairs. Then delay nonessential furniture until the inspection picture is clearer. Also ask the agent what a shorter window changes in practice and line up an inspector in advance. That improves speed without pretending the property carries no risk.
 
Two lost offers can make removing conditions feel inevitable, but they don’t prove the winning buyers made a sensible choice. I’d set a firm rule: pre-offer inspection where possible; otherwise a short, workable inspection condition; no waiver unless the emergency fund can handle an unpleasant finding without disrupting the purchase. Unclear service charges would be another reason to pause, not compensate by taking more risk elsewhere.
 
Back
Top