Getting this wrong could leave us with either another lost house or a repair bill we cannot absorb. We have already missed out on two older detached homes in Calgary, and we are now considering how far to reduce our conditions on a C$216,000 purchase.
The house looks reasonably sound, but its age and a possible insurance complication worry me. Would arranging an inspection before the offer, or limiting the condition to serious structural defects, be a workable compromise? I also need to understand the likely insurance excess and how much emergency cash we should retain. Furniture can wait if that is what keeps the numbers safe.
The house looks reasonably sound, but its age and a possible insurance complication worry me. Would arranging an inspection before the offer, or limiting the condition to serious structural defects, be a workable compromise? I also need to understand the likely insurance excess and how much emergency cash we should retain. Furniture can wait if that is what keeps the numbers safe.