Would you waive inspection on an older five-bed Copenhagen property?

alba_finance

Buyer
Established
We lost two Copenhagen studio offers to buyers with fewer conditions. We are now considering an older five-bed property at DKK 4,418,000. It looks reasonably maintained, but its age and a possible insurance issue make waiving inspection feel reckless.

Our agent suggests shortening the inspection window. Would a pre-offer inspection or a contingency limited to structural problems be a sensible middle ground? I want to understand the downside rather than be reassured about the market.
 
Shorten the window if you can arrange an inspector in advance, but do not make the condition so narrow that serious plumbing, electrical, damp or roof findings fall outside it. “Structural only” can leave you carrying expensive defects that are not technically structural.
 
That distinction is exactly what concerned me. We have not yet been told whether an inspector can attend before the offer deadline, and the insurance point is still vague. I’ll ask the agent to identify the specific concern rather than treating “possible insurance issue” as enough information.
 
Also ask what “older” means in practical terms: approximate construction period, renovation history, and whether this is a standalone house or part of a shared building. The useful inspection scope and responsibility for roofs, façades and pipes could differ considerably.
 
The middle ground is preparation, not blind risk. Line up an inspector now, obtain every existing condition record the seller will provide, and set a short but workable period. If access cannot be arranged, that itself tells you something about the risk you are being asked to accept.
 
A short inspection period and no inspection condition can produce almost the same result. The deadline only protects you if an inspector can attend and you still have enough time to understand the findings.

Confirm availability before making the offer. If the inspection and review can both happen within the proposed window, shortening it may be a reasonable compromise; if they cannot, keep a workable condition or accept that you are effectively waiving it.
 
And decide in advance what would make you withdraw. If every finding triggers a fresh debate under time pressure, the inspection window will disappear while you are still calculating. Separate tolerable maintenance, negotiable repairs and genuine deal-breakers.
 
How much cash remains after the purchase, moving costs and the first mortgage payment? The same defect has a very different impact when there is a protected emergency fund versus when furniture and immediate repairs are already using the remaining money.
 
The insurance concern should be investigated independently of the physical inspection. A building can appear sound while a coverage limitation, exclusion or high excess changes your exposure. Ask what is actually insurable and on what terms before deciding that inspection findings are the only risk.
 
Don’t let the two lost studios set the risk tolerance for this purchase. A five-bed older property is a different commitment at DKK 4,418,000. Previous disappointment is a poor reason to accept a downside you could not comfortably fund.
 
Fatima’s cash question matters more than people admit. I would model the first few months with moving costs, the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, service charges if applicable, and one immediate repair. If that already strains the budget, waiving inspection is not competitive—it is leverage against yourselves.
 
Could the offer allow inspection while limiting your right to withdraw to findings above an agreed cost or to specified categories? Whether that wording works in Denmark needs checking with the appropriate local adviser, but it may be more meaningful than the vague phrase “structural contingency.”
 
A cost threshold sounds tidy but repair estimates can be uncertain, especially within a short deadline. Several smaller issues may also be serious together. If you explore that route, make sure cumulative findings are considered rather than requiring one defect to cross the threshold.
 
Before negotiating wording, ask whether the seller would permit a pre-offer visit with an inspector. It may cost you money without securing the property, but it converts an unknown risk into information and lets you submit a cleaner offer afterward.
 
Kai’s suggestion is strongest if the deadline allows it. I would still preserve some protection for inaccessible areas or information that cannot be assessed during a brief visit. A pre-offer inspection is useful, but it is not the same as certainty.
 
Furniture timing is an easy place to create breathing room. Keep existing pieces or buy gradually so the emergency fund is not depleted immediately after completion. That does not justify accepting unknown defects, but it can make known, manageable repairs less frightening.
 
Yes, and distinguish cosmetic work from urgent work. Floors, paint and furniture can wait; water ingress or unsafe systems cannot. Ask the inspector to identify priority and likely timing, not merely produce a long list that makes every old feature look equally alarming.
 
One more question for the agent: are fewer conditions genuinely necessary for this particular property, or is that conclusion based on the two studio bids? Different size, price and buyer pool may mean you are solving the previous competition rather than the current negotiation.
 
That is the caveat I was waiting for. “Other buyers waived” is not evidence that their decisions were sensible, nor that this seller will reject a short inspection period. Submit terms you can live with and let the seller decide; do not negotiate against an unseen offer.
 
A practical sequence: clarify the insurance issue, obtain available property information, reserve an inspector, calculate the post-purchase cash buffer, then choose the shortest realistic condition. Only after those steps would I discuss narrowing it. Starting with waiver language puts the concession before the facts.
 
Back
Top