Zurich first purchase: is CHF 36,080 enough cash after closing?

cai.fable

Homeowner
Established
I am considering a 4-bed villa around CHF 677,600 in Zurich. After the deposit and estimated closing costs, I would have about CHF 36,080 in cash.

The inspection report is long and makes a basically sound home look disastrous, although much of it may be ordinary first-year work. How would you divide the remaining money between emergency savings, moving, immediate repairs and furniture? I also want to compare sold-price history rather than rely only on asking prices. I would rather buy below my maximum than have every minor issue become a financial emergency.
 
I would protect at least half as a general emergency fund and keep furniture spending minimal. A provisional split could be CHF 18,000 emergency savings, CHF 8,000 repairs, CHF 4,000 moving, CHF 2,000 furniture and CHF 4,080 for the first mortgage payment, insurance excess or other early bills. Adjust only after the inspection items are prioritised.
 
Before choosing percentages, what does the report actually flag as urgent? A cosmetic list is very different from water ingress, heating trouble or electrical work. Also, are there any service charges attached to the villa, and are those already included in your monthly budget? Recurring costs could matter more than buying furniture.
 
I disagree slightly with assigning CHF 8,000 to repairs now. That number may create false comfort when the inspection has not yet been translated into quotes and timescales. Sort the findings into: required before moving, required within a year, and optional. Keep the repair allocation liquid until you know which category contains the expensive items.
 
Furniture is the easiest category to delay. Four bedrooms do not need to be fully furnished on day one. Budget for the rooms you will actually use, plus curtains or lighting if needed, and leave the rest empty. Moving costs are less flexible, so get estimates before treating CHF 4,000 as settled.
 
Sold-price history can help you judge whether CHF 677,600 is plausible, but it will not tell you the condition or first-year costs of a particular villa. I would stress-test the purchase by subtracting moving costs, the insurance excess, the first mortgage payment and the urgent inspection work from CHF 36,080. If the remaining emergency fund feels too thin, the sensible response is a lower offer or a cheaper property—not optimistic furniture budgeting.
 
Back
Top