Zurich inventory shifted in March 2025 — seasonal change or greater buyer selectivity?

talia.cole

Property investor
The figure that caught my attention is 6.3%, but I’m not yet confident that I’m comparing the right sets of properties. In the Zurich listings I saved during March 2025, well-presented detached homes often disappeared after about 21 days, while those requiring work tended to remain visible.

Does that point to seasonal supply, greater buyer selectivity, or simply a difference in property mix? I’d be interested in neighbourhood-level observations and completed transactions, including the date of the source and whether activity was high enough to support the comparison.
 
It could be both. Spring may bring out more listings, but condition also affects how confidently buyers can compare the asking price with the likely total cost. A renovated house and a project property are not really competing on equal terms, even nearby. I would split your saved list by condition and neighbourhood before interpreting the 21-day figure.
 
How large is the sample, and does “move” mean sold, reserved, removed, or simply no longer visible? Also, is the 6.3% gap based on the same properties’ original asking prices and recorded sale prices? If the asking and completed-deal groups are different, the gap may reflect the mix of homes rather than negotiation.
 
I’m not convinced March alone establishes greater selectivity. Completed prices can lag the listing activity you were watching, so the two sets may cover decisions made in different periods. Low transaction volume would make that mismatch worse. The source date matters too: was this a snapshot during March 2025 or a full-month comparison assembled afterward?
 
I would not choose between a Zurich-wide average and the March listings until the underlying records are separated more carefully. The missing fact is whether each completed price can be tied to the same home’s original ask and subsequent revisions.

If it can, track original price, changes, completion date, neighbourhood, type and condition for that property. If it cannot, treat the 6.3% as a comparison between two market samples rather than a measure of negotiation. Either way, keep withdrawn, reserved and sold listings distinct and extend the exercise beyond one month before drawing a conclusion.
 
The point about timing changes my view of the 6.3%. If completed deals reflect earlier negotiations, comparing them with March asking prices is not a clean test. I’d still watch whether project homes accumulate price revisions while ready-to-occupy detached homes disappear near 21 days. That pattern, repeated beyond one month and across a reasonable sample, would be more persuasive than the March snapshot alone.
 
Back
Top