Zurich retail listings at 67 days: offer now or wait for a price cut?

otis.cove

Buyer
Established
I’m deciding whether to offer below asking now or wait for sellers to make the first cut. Zurich feels split rather than uniformly fast or slow: the retail units I’m following, priced around CHF 144,300–CHF 216,500, have been on the market about 67 days.

Listings with a clear answer on property tax seem to move differently. Has anyone seen recent completed sales where the final price could be compared with the public asking history? Condition, neighbourhood and any withdrawal or relisting would also be useful context.
 
I would test a reasoned offer rather than wait automatically. Sixty-seven days creates an opening, but it does not show how flexible the seller is. A unit withdrawn and later relisted can look fresher than it is, while another may simply have had little exposure. Base the offer on comparable condition and location, not a standard percentage below asking.
 
How tightly are you defining Zurich and “retail unit”? Even a small change in neighbourhood boundary, permitted use or street position could make those prices poor comparisons. I’d also separate fitted premises from units needing substantial work. Are all the properties genuinely comparable, or is the 67-day figure combining several different segments?
 
Financing may explain part of the split as well. A lower asking price does not necessarily mean an easier purchase if the buyer’s financing depends on valuation, condition or intended use. Also, what does “clear answer on property tax” mean here: certainty about ongoing costs, or about tax consequences for the particular transaction? That should be resolved for the actual property and buyer circumstances.
 
Beno’s distinction matters. I’d make a small table for each unit: first date seen, original ask, every visible cut, any disappearance, current condition and exact micro-location. Then add the completed price only where it can be supported. Otherwise, asking-history comparisons can create false precision, especially if withdrawn stock is quietly returning as a new listing.
 
I’m not convinced tax clarity necessarily makes the property itself move faster. It may simply remove uncertainty for one group of buyers. Seller motivation is probably more important once a listing reaches this age: some need a defined completion timetable, while others can hold indefinitely. An early offer can work, but only if its terms solve something for the seller.
 
Agreed that price is only one lever. A clean proposal could state the offered amount, financing position, desired timetable and which points still require confirmation. Keep the property-tax question separate rather than turning an unresolved estimate into an arbitrary discount. If the seller rejects the number, ask whether timing or another term would make further discussion worthwhile.
 
For completed examples, condition at the sale date is crucial. A fitted unit and an empty shell should not be treated as equivalent just because their floor area and postcode are similar. I’d also watch new-listing volume alongside withdrawals: more genuine alternatives strengthen the case for waiting, whereas repeated withdrawals may mean the apparent choice is overstated.
 
The practical approach seems to be two tracks: submit a documented offer on the strongest candidate while continuing to monitor fresh listings and cuts. At 67 days, waiting only makes sense if credible replacements are appearing. If they are not, a conditional but serious offer gives more information about seller motivation than trying to infer flexibility from days on market alone.
 
Back
Top