Zurich serviced 1-bed: do the CHF 721,600 numbers hold up?

findTheAtlas

Property manager
An 8.9% gross yield looks strong, but the CHF 5,378 monthly figure is my main concern. This would be my first serviced-apartment purchase: a one-bedroom in Zurich priced at CHF 721,600.

I have budgeted for empty periods, management, ordinary upkeep and a larger repair, although I may be treating the rent as cleaner income than it really is. Should I first establish whether it is tenant rent or operator revenue before adding cleaning, utilities, insurance, furniture replacement and turnover costs? I also plan to test the financing at a higher rate. Once those figures are separated, what net return would you require for the remaining vacancy and operating risk?
 
The first thing I would clarify is whether CHF 5,378 is actual rent paid to you or gross serviced-apartment revenue before utilities, cleaning, linen, booking costs and furniture replacement. Those items can make the 8.9% headline figure misleading. I would also model tenant turnover separately from ordinary vacancy, because each change may create both an empty period and extra costs.
 
Is the CHF 5,378 based on an existing tenancy, an operator forecast, or comparable apartments? Also, does management charge a percentage of collected revenue or a fixed amount? Without those details, choosing a satisfactory net yield is premature. Include insurance, ownership-related charges and financing at a higher rate than initially offered, then see whether the cash flow still works.
 
I would be more cautious than Mia about treating this mainly as an operating-cost issue. The larger risk may be that the monthly income assumption is too optimistic or depends on consistently high occupancy. Build three cases using the same expense categories: expected income, a meaningful vacancy period, and lower rent plus higher financing costs. Then compare annual cash flow after every expense and reserve, not just the resulting yield percentage.
 
Back
Top