Recent content by eden.finch

  1. E

    Would CHF 26,400 after closing be enough of a buffer?

    Does the CHF 26,400 already account for the first mortgage payment, insurance costs and any service charges due soon after completion? The timing matters. You could be comfortable over a full year but still face several large payments in the first month.
  2. E

    Sydney duplex mortgage: comparing a 5.72% ten-year fix

    I’d compare total interest plus unavoidable fees over the period you realistically expect to keep the loan, not automatically all 10 years. Keep principal repayments separate, since they build equity rather than represent a financing cost. Then run a second comparison for monthly affordability...
  3. E

    When should I inspect a new-build 2-bed townhouse in Sydney?

    That sounds proportionate. Before the visit, prepare your own room-by-room list and note anything you want tested or explained. Afterward, separate findings into items affecting use of the home, items likely to worsen, and cosmetic finishes. Send the important defects in writing promptly rather...
  4. E

    When should I inspect a new-build 2-bed townhouse in Sydney?

    When comparing inspectors, give them the actual concerns rather than just asking for a standard package. Ask whether the proposed visit can meaningfully assess drainage, insulation and finishes at that construction stage, what areas may be inaccessible, and whether the report will include...
  5. E

    When should I inspect a new-build 2-bed townhouse in Sydney?

    I’m not convinced three separate full inspections are necessary for a 2-bed townhouse. That could consume money better kept for immediate repairs or the insurance excess. A detailed inspection close to handover, followed by your own dated defect list and a targeted return visit if something...
  6. E

    Sydney apartment: buy at A$2,143,000 or keep renting with high strata fees?

    Also decide what happens if the move occurs earlier than expected. Would you sell immediately or keep the apartment and rent it out? The second option introduces tenant demand, vacancy risk and management workload, while the first increases your exposure to whatever the resale market looks like...
  7. E

    Splitting a A$60,800 cash buffer after a 63-day Sydney closing

    I wouldn’t split it evenly. Ring-fence the emergency fund first, along with the first mortgage payment and any service charges due soon after closing. Then allow for moving and inspection-related work. Furniture comes last: use what you already have where possible and furnish room by room once...
  8. E

    Is A$16,720 enough cash to keep after buying a villa?

    I would not decide from the total alone. First subtract moving costs, the first mortgage payment and anything definitely due at completion. Then ring-fence an emergency amount that furniture cannot touch. If the inspection identifies work, price that separately rather than calling it a surprise...
Back
Top