165 m² new-build flat or townhouse in Helsinki: what am I overlooking?

bikesAndBirch

Buyer
Established
I’m comparing a 165 m² new-build flat with a similarly priced townhouse in Helsinki. The flat appears easier to maintain, while the townhouse seems to offer more control at the cost of potentially larger, irregular bills.

I’m modelling maintenance, insurance, energy use and resale liquidity. I’d also like to understand shared-building reserves, management workload, tenant demand and vacancy risk. Which costs or responsibilities tend to be underestimated after the first year?

This purchase would be outside my home country, so I’m particularly wary of assuming that ownership and management work the way I’m used to.
 
The main distinction is not low costs versus high costs, but pooled costs versus costs landing directly on you. A flat can feel simpler because maintenance is organised collectively, yet contributions and future shared work still affect you. With a townhouse, budgeting may be less smooth but decisions may be more visible.

Does the townhouse have any shared structures or management arrangements? That could substantially reduce the control you think you are buying.
 
One more missing fact: will this be your home, a rental, or potentially both? A five-bedroom property is a particular format, and the likely tenant and resale audiences may differ between a large flat and a townhouse. I would compare realistic vacancy periods and buyer pools, rather than assuming similar prices mean similar liquidity.
 
I’m not convinced the flat automatically offers less control or that the townhouse offers more. Either can involve collective decisions; the dividing line is the ownership and management arrangement, not the label on the property.

Ask for the documents that show responsibility for the roof, exterior, common areas, utilities and major repairs. Then compare the building’s insurance with the cover you would need personally. Since you are buying in Finland from abroad, have those responsibilities explained according to the local setup rather than relying on familiar assumptions.
 
I would build two cash-flow scenarios for each property: an ordinary year and a bad year. Include recurring charges, energy, insurance, routine upkeep, a personal repair buffer, possible shared contributions and vacancy if renting. Also stress-test higher energy use across 165 m² rather than relying only on a headline efficiency figure.

For resale, ask local agents how each specific property would be positioned and who the likely buyer is. “New-build” and “townhouse” are not enough on their own; layout, ongoing costs and management burden can change the audience.
 
The flat looks preferable only if collective management genuinely removes work without hiding costs you would rather control. The townhouse looks preferable only if the extra autonomy is real and you are comfortable holding a larger contingency fund.

Before choosing, I’d put both options into the same ten-year spreadsheet and mark every assumption that depends on local practice. Those marked items are the ones to have independently explained before committing. That should expose whether this is really a maintenance decision, or a liquidity and workload decision.
 
Back
Top