75 m² warehouse versus townhouse in Marrakech: ownership trade-offs

nia_crane

Homeowner
I have compared the obvious running costs, but I still do not understand what our adviser considered potentially problematic. The choice is between a 75 m² warehouse and a similarly priced townhouse in Marrakech.

At first glance the warehouse has fewer routine maintenance demands. That advantage could disappear if it is part of a shared complex with weak reserves, or if the roof, access, ventilation, electrical supply or a tenant’s fit-out needs major work. The townhouse gives more control, although repairs may be spread across more parts of the property.

My model covers maintenance, insurance, energy use, vacancy, tenant demand and resale prospects. Before going further, I plan to ask whether the warning concerned condition, permitted use or the ownership structure. What else belongs on the inspection and document checklist, particularly for costs that tend to emerge after the first year?
 
I would not assume the warehouse is automatically simpler. Its costs may be concentrated in fewer but expensive items: roof or water ingress, doors and access, ventilation, electrical capacity and any tenant-specific fit-out. A townhouse spreads the work across plumbing, exterior surfaces, windows and several rooms, but it may appeal to a broader resale or rental audience.
 
What exactly did the adviser flag: the warehouse itself, its permitted use, the condition, or the ownership arrangement? Also, is it a standalone building or part of a shared complex? That changes the calculation because low routine maintenance can be offset by shared-building charges or an underfunded reserve.
 
I’m less convinced that broader demand automatically favours the townhouse. Demand depends on intended use and location within Marrakech, not just property type. A well-situated small warehouse may have steady commercial interest, while a townhouse can sit vacant if its layout, access or running costs miss the target market. Compare realistic tenant pools rather than generic liquidity.
 
For the next viewing, separate the budget into three columns: annual recurring costs, predictable replacements, and low-frequency major repairs. Ask for past utility and maintenance records where available, details of any shared charges and reserves, insurance terms for the actual use, and evidence of roof, drainage, electrical and structural work. Then price a vacancy period and management time for each option.
 
The adviser’s concern was mainly that I was treating the warehouse as the low-maintenance option without enough information about the wider building and future resale. It is the 75 m² warehouse that interests me, but I still need clarity on whether major exterior items are shared and how costs are allocated. I’ll also test tenant demand separately rather than assuming commercial use means easier occupancy.
 
That makes the shared arrangement the first thing to resolve. Ask who decides on major works, what balance or reserve exists, what has recently been repaired, and whether any large project is being discussed. For both properties, get insurance indications based on their real use and condition. If those answers remain vague, the warehouse’s apparent maintenance advantage should carry very little weight.
 
Back
Top