90 m² studio or coastal home: budgeting beyond year one

kit_reese

Homeowner
Established
The 90 m² studio looks like the lower-effort choice, while the similarly priced home seems to offer greater control. I am not convinced either description captures the real risk: a studio can carry building-wide obligations, and a house can turn a few exterior or weather-related jobs into a demanding year.

I have already compared purchase expenses, insurance, energy costs and likely resale liquidity. I now need a narrower way to test shared-building reserves, realistic tenant demand, vacant holding periods and the amount of management each option requires.

There is also a basic point I may be missing: the property is described as a coastal home in Bengaluru. Should I treat that as a design description rather than actual coastal exposure? That distinction would materially change the maintenance and insurance comparison.
 
Don’t assume the studio is automatically the predictable option. Ask for the building’s maintenance history, planned major works and reserve position; shared costs can arrive without giving you much control over timing. For the home, separate routine upkeep from occasional exterior, drainage and weather-related work. I’d also compare realistic vacant-month carrying costs rather than relying only on expected rent.
 
One detail needs clarifying: what exactly makes the Bengaluru property a “coastal home”—its design, or its actual setting? That changes the insurance and maintenance comparison considerably. I’d get property-specific insurance indications and energy estimates for both, then speak to local agents about likely tenant profiles and resale time. Similar purchase prices alone do not mean similar liquidity or annual workload.
 
Back
Top