A 7.28% quote made waiting for cheaper coastal finance less straightforward

FinnDale

Homeowner
Established
Founding Member
A 7.28% mortgage makes waiting look attractive. My specific concern is that cheaper finance could revive demand for coastal homes while local supply remains limited, leaving me competing at a higher purchase price.

The home is €1,063,000 and I can meet the cost at today’s rate, but that alone does not make the timing safe. I want to test a higher payment after any rate reset, limited refinancing options if the value falls, and the cost of selling sooner than planned. Which checks would you run first, and how much should the loan-to-value and portability terms influence the decision?
 
I’d test whether the purchase still works without a favourable refinance. Run the monthly cost at 7.28%, then at a higher reset rate, and include arrangement fees rather than comparing headline rates alone. Also model selling earlier than planned after transaction and early-repayment costs. If those scenarios are uncomfortable, a future rate cut doesn’t really solve the underlying affordability problem.
 
What loan-to-value, rate period and expected ownership period are you considering? Those details could change the answer. A loan that resets before you expect to sell creates a different risk from a longer fixed period, while low equity could limit refinancing choices if the property’s value falls.
 
I’m not convinced cheaper finance would automatically push this particular home’s price up. More buyers may return, but their budgets, available inventory and appetite for a coastal property still matter. Resale demand can also differ from demand for ordinary year-round housing. I would judge the home at today’s price and financing first, treating any future appreciation as a bonus rather than part of the repayment plan.
 
The comparison period matters. Waiting is not simply “7.28% versus a lower rate”: it is today’s purchase price and fees versus a later price, later fees, and the cost of housing while you wait. I’d create three cases—buy now with no refinance, buy now and refinance later after all charges, and wait—then compare total cash outlay and remaining debt at the same future date.
 
That three-case comparison is sensible, but portability and early repayment terms need their own line items. A cheaper refinance can look attractive until fees or a repayment charge consume much of the saving. Equally, portability may help with a move but should not be treated as guaranteed approval for a future property or loan amount; the exact terms in the local jurisdiction matter.
 
I’d set two firm limits before deciding: the highest monthly payment you can carry without relying on resale, and the minimum sale proceeds you could tolerate if you had to move earlier than expected. Then ask the lender for the full payment schedule, arrangement fees, reset terms, early-repayment provisions and portability conditions. If the €1,063,000 purchase works within those limits at 7.28%, the decision becomes about wanting the home, not successfully forecasting the rate cycle.
 
Back
Top