Amsterdam retail units: is energy performance driving the price spread?

sunny_pine

Homeowner
Established
I’d like the units near €143,500 to be overlooked opportunities, but I keep finding possible energy upgrades and deferred condition costs behind the lower price. At the other end, comparable Amsterdam retail property is being advertised around €215,300.

My snapshot shows 7.2% price movement and about 82 days on market. I initially thought energy performance explained most of that spread, although rising listing volume, tenant status and buyer financing may be just as important. A cheap vacant unit requiring work is not equivalent to an occupied one with reliable terms.

Does this vary materially between neighbourhoods? I’d be interested in tightly defined examples, with the type of retail unit stated and actual sales separated from reductions to advertised prices.
 
Energy performance may explain part of it, but I wouldn’t isolate it from vacancy, lease terms and buyer financing. For a small street-front unit in De Pijp, a vacant property needing substantial work is not really comparable with an occupied, presentable unit nearby, even if their asking prices look close. Are your examples vacant or tenanted, and does the 7.2% refer to asking-price movement or completed sales?
 
I’m less convinced that 82 days proves much without withdrawn listings. Sellers can relist, hold firm or cut only after financing falls through, which distorts the visible marketing period.

For Oud-West retail, I’d keep the comparison within a tight neighbourhood boundary and separate price cuts by timing: early correction versus a reduction after months with no deal. Then compare condition, energy performance, occupancy and seller motivation against actual completions. That should show whether the discount is for energy work or for a harder-to-sell unit generally.
 
Back
Top