As-is townhouse offer with inspection contingency: where is the line?

otis.elm

Buyer
Established
Our offer accepts the townhouse in its present condition but also includes an inspection contingency. The seller is now treating any request for information or a credit as violating the spirit of the offer.

I took “as-is” to mean our price assumed no routine repairs, while the contingency preserved a decision to walk away if inspection uncovered something major, including a serious transaction-fees issue. I know the exact wording and local jurisdiction control, but how would you separate those two ideas in practice? The response deadline is approaching, and this feels much less clear now than it did when we submitted.
 
In practical terms, asking is not necessarily the same as having a contractual right to a credit. An as-is buyer can still inspect, gather information and decide whether to proceed if the contingency genuinely permits withdrawal. The seller can also refuse to renegotiate. Before the deadline, have the person advising you identify exactly what notice must be given and what happens to the deposit.
 
What do you mean by a “transaction-fees issue”? Is it a physical defect, an ownership-related charge, or simply a cost that was higher than expected? That distinction may matter because an inspection contingency might not cover every financial surprise. Also, does your clause allow cancellation in the buyer’s discretion, or only after specified findings?
 
Getting this wrong could put the deposit at risk, so I would not spend much time debating what the seller thinks the offer was meant to convey. The first question is what the signed inspection clause actually permits and what notice must be delivered before the deadline.

The seller may reasonably reject a credit for ordinary wear when the price was presented as as-is. A major finding is different, but even then the clause may give you a right to withdraw rather than a right to renegotiate. Ask the person advising you to identify the relevant wording and confirm the deposit consequence in writing. Once that is clear, decide whether you would still buy without a credit or would cancel if the seller refuses.
 
Don’t let the inspection dispute distract from the appraisal gap. If completed comparables do not support your price, a lender’s valuation could create another cash decision even if you accept the property condition. Put the possible repair or fee exposure and the possible appraisal shortfall on the same sheet, then ask whether you can comfortably absorb both.
 
Seller motivation matters here. A seller with a backup offer may simply say no to every credit request, while one worried about returning to market may engage. But I would not try to guess motivation until your own position is settled: financing proof ready, maximum extra cash defined, and cancellation notice prepared if the findings cross your limit.
 
Miguel’s question is the key one. If this cost falls outside the inspection language, calling it an inspection discovery will not make it one. I’d separate the conversation into two tracks: first, whether the contingency protects your deposit if you withdraw; second, whether the seller will voluntarily adjust the price or credit. Those are related commercially but not necessarily contractually.
 
I’m not convinced requesting a credit is always sensible, even for a large finding. It can consume the remaining response window while everyone argues about wording. If the issue makes the deal unacceptable at the current price, a timely withdrawal may be safer than negotiating until the contingency expires. Any extension should be clearly agreed rather than assumed from ongoing messages.
 
A practical way to make the decision: list only verified findings, attach an estimated financial impact where you have one, and divide them into “expected under as-is” and “deal-changing.” Then compare the deal-changing total with your walk-away threshold. Avoid filling gaps with worst-case guesses, but do not rely on a future credit the seller has already signaled reluctance to give.
 
Before the deadline, get three points answered from the actual documents under the local jurisdiction: what events permit termination, what form and timing the notice requires, and when the deposit becomes exposed. Then send one focused response rather than a stream of questions. You can preserve the relationship by acknowledging the as-is price while being clear that the inspection contingency still has a purpose.
 
Back
Top