I have to choose soon whether to continue with a 2-bed Auckland villa near NZ$1,964,000. The attraction is getting the house I want; the concern is how little flexibility remains once the purchase is complete.
My current estimate leaves about NZ$72,600 after the deposit and expected closing costs. That initially looked comfortable, but it also has to cover moving, the first mortgage payment, an insurance excess and any urgent defects found during inspection. Furniture is easy to postpone; weatherproofing or safety work would not be.
Rather than assigning a fixed percentage to emergencies, would you size the untouchable reserve from monthly essential spending and then ring-fence the known purchase costs separately? I also need to confirm whether the villa carries any service charges or shared expenses before relying on the balance.
My current estimate leaves about NZ$72,600 after the deposit and expected closing costs. That initially looked comfortable, but it also has to cover moving, the first mortgage payment, an insurance excess and any urgent defects found during inspection. Furniture is easy to postpone; weatherproofing or safety work would not be.
Rather than assigning a fixed percentage to emergencies, would you size the untouchable reserve from monthly essential spending and then ring-fence the known purchase costs separately? I also need to confirm whether the villa carries any service charges or shared expenses before relying on the balance.