Auckland first home: is NZ$72,600 enough to keep after closing?

BrightStone

First-time buyer
Established
I have to choose soon whether to continue with a 2-bed Auckland villa near NZ$1,964,000. The attraction is getting the house I want; the concern is how little flexibility remains once the purchase is complete.

My current estimate leaves about NZ$72,600 after the deposit and expected closing costs. That initially looked comfortable, but it also has to cover moving, the first mortgage payment, an insurance excess and any urgent defects found during inspection. Furniture is easy to postpone; weatherproofing or safety work would not be.

Rather than assigning a fixed percentage to emergencies, would you size the untouchable reserve from monthly essential spending and then ring-fence the known purchase costs separately? I also need to confirm whether the villa carries any service charges or shared expenses before relying on the balance.
 
I’d make the emergency fund untouchable first—ideally enough for several months of essential household and mortgage costs. Then reserve known settlement and moving expenses, the first mortgage payment, and the insurance excess. Repairs get a separate amount after the inspection. Furniture comes last; a partly empty home is inconvenient, but it isn’t an emergency.
 
The missing figure is your monthly essential spending after purchase. NZ$72,600 could be comfortable or quite tight depending on the mortgage payment, insurance, rates and any overlapping rent. Also, are there actually service charges or shared arrangements attached to this villa? Confirm the first payment date too, because the cash-flow timing matters as much as the total.
 
I’d be cautious about deciding the repair allowance before seeing the inspection. A report might show only small jobs, or one item that needs a proper estimate. Get prices for anything material and use that to decide whether the property still fits your ceiling.

I slightly disagree that you need to pre-assign every dollar now. Keep a large general reserve until after settlement rather than creating four pots that may prove unrealistic. Buying below your maximum is probably the more important protection.
 
That helps. I was treating NZ$72,600 as one reassuring headline number rather than testing it against monthly outgoings and payment timing. I’ll confirm the first mortgage payment, insurance excess, moving costs and whether there are any shared charges before making an offer. After inspection, I’ll seek estimates for anything significant. The emergency portion will stay untouched, and furniture will be limited to essentials until the first few months show what the villa actually needs.
 
Back
Top