Austin apartments: does the reported 5.4% movement survive the service-charge issue?

lena.voss

First-time buyer
Established
The surprising result was that 86 days on the market told me very little once condition differences were separated out. I am looking at a small group of Austin apartments between $708,000 and $1,062,000 while trying to test the reported 5.4% movement.

The unresolved variable is the recurring service charge—or association dues, if that is the better local term. I cannot tell from active listings whether buyers are lowering their offers to reflect the monthly cost, seeking a separate seller concession, or declining to bid at all.

Completed sales with similar dues would be more persuasive than current asking prices. I would also like to compare first reduction dates, withdrawn properties, neighbourhood boundaries and any signs of seller motivation. Is there enough evidence in those records to isolate the effect of the dues, or is the sample too mixed by location, financing and condition?
 
Do you mean condos and monthly association dues by “service charge”? If so, buyers generally cannot negotiate that recurring amount with the seller; they can only factor it into what they offer or move on. I would compare completed sales with similar dues and note when each listing first cut its price. Eighty-six days alone will not show whether the fee caused resistance.
 
I would be cautious about treating the dues as the main explanation. At this price range, neighbourhood boundaries, condition and buyer financing can split a small sample very quickly. Withdrawn stock matters too: excluding listings that disappeared can make demand look stronger than it was.

Separate the properties by neighbourhood and condition, then record dues, price-cut timing, completed or withdrawn status, and any visible seller motivation. That should reveal whether buyers are discounting the monthly cost or simply avoiding weaker units.
 
Back
Top